1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace front vent window on Gen 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mmlmitchell, Jul 4, 2023.

1. mmlmitchell

mmlmitchell New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Posting this specifically for Gen 4 because the front vent windows (the little triangle window by the door mirror) on other generations are quite different. Also, there are remarkable few "how to" resources on the Internet describing the replacement of a front vent window on a Gen 4. My exact model is a 2021 XLE AWD-e.

Background: My front passenger vent window was busted out by a car prowler who gain access to my Prius through the vent window.
    Broken Vent Window.png

I called my local auto glass repair shop and they quoted $600 for the repair. I found the part number for the window and found an exact match on eBay for $35.
    Replacement Vent Window.png

I could not find a "how to" post regarding the installation of the vent window on a Gen 4 anywhere online, but I did find a YouTube video showing how to replace a door mirror on a Gen 4, so I watched that very carefully looking for clues. Here is a link to that YouTube video:
    . This video has some good tips for removing the door panel. I am not addressing the several steps required to remove the door panel. I do suggest using plastic trim tools and being gentle so you don't break any of the plastic fittings.

First, I pulled out the old rubber window gasket that used to surround the original vent window. The replacement came with its own gasket. I removed the top screw of the vent window frame: not sure of the correct name of the frame, but it is the vertical metal structure separating the vent window from the regular door window that opens. To access this screw, pull back the rubber gasket on the top of the door.
    Top Screw.png

Then I removed the inside door panel. The orange string in the photo was used to secure the panel while hung in place. I did not disconnect the door light (which is at the bottom of the panel) because I just needed to expose the area by the mirror.
    Removed Door Panel.png

Then I pulled down the rubber cover inside near the door mirror, exposed two 10mm bolts that were securing the bottom of the vertical vent window frame.
    Vent Window Frame Bolts.png

Then I gently pulled the vertical vent window frame back and was able to fit the new window with its new gasket into place. Once installed, I reversed all steps and put the door back together.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nice I've installed a bit of auto glass by the string method . Would seem to me though you wouldn't need the string and this methodology for such a small piece of glass and rubber but hey if it works it works I would think you'd be able to put this in bottom first a little electric grease or silicone around the edges of the rubber going to the tip and then slowly splooge it in there but right job man need to keep people away from your Prius from breaking windows I guess.

3. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you for sharing the step-by-step summary and helpful video. I am planning to replace the larger passenger front window after it was hit by a highway rock that was kicked up by a larger truck on the interstate. Is removal of the vent window necessary in order to replace the window?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't have a Gen 4 but the Gen 3 is very similar and so on even a Corolla is very similar usually I try to take that strip on top of the door that has the weather strip on the outside of the windshield not the door panel I lift that up with a plastic splug It just pops off these clips and then of course you take the door panel off or you can take the door panel off and then take the outer strip off either way it's okay It just drops back on You can try and leave it on but if you damage the rubber a little bit it shows really bad and leave streaks on the window when you roll it up and down. Then there's a lineup point that you bump the window up to and the two or three bolts that hold it to the regulator and nonsense come out you put them on the floor now you can lift the auto glass up at an angle and out set it on the ground reverse the process to install You shouldn't have to touch your vent window to do any of this is usually a 45-minute job aside.

5. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for your advice. Just to close the loop, I replaced the window that same weekend without any complications and did not have to remove the vent window. I purchased the replacement window from an ebay vendor to save some money, and was thankful that the glass was not too thick as described in this thread. I was reassured that it was laminated glass that the prior oem window featured instead of simply tempered glass. The trickiest part for me was replacing the interior window trim, so consider closely studying / taking pictures of its orientation before removing it.