1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Hybrid Pack? 260K in my 2005?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mamago, Jun 1, 2022.

1. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About to start packing my Silver sloop for a X country trip from VA to WA. Excited teacher after a really hard but wonderful year. And. Sat am the dashboard was lit. All the scary lights. Finally got them read correctly and yes, P0A80 and P3000. I'm fine spending the 3000 for a brand new battery. But, now, as I read in this site-at 250K parts on the rig could start failing...
    SHOULD I?? 12V is good, tires are good, yes, it does go through oil a bit, 1 qt needed every couple months. I read something about a brake system failing? Now, my entire trip seems doomed. It sucks having a good imagination. Should I be worried? What else can my mechanic look for? What can I triple check for! This trip, it's a back and forth trip. Ya. 6000 miles don't ya know. I did a Spring break of 1400 and all was super. Any and all advice for this 'ol teacher and her dog would be more than welcome! Damn.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you carry the dog in the car, you should check that the hybrid vehicle (HV) battery cooling fan is not clogged with pet hair. So, if you are not the type to do that you could have your mechanic check that and clean it if necessary. That certainly could set the P0A80 code.

If your mechanic is set up to do a round of balancing charge/discharge cycles on the HV battery, he could do that for you too.

Is the GreenTech battery (mentioned in another thread) still under warranty? It is really optimistic to expect four years out of a secondhand reconditioned battery.

A new battery is what will work best for reliability and longevity, but the oil consumption would be a sticking point for me. See if your mechanic can do a piston soak with Berryman B12. This has a good chance of success if the oil usage is caused by clogged oil returns in the oil control rings.

Unfortunately, neither of these last two things will be done quickly so unless the battery fan does the trick, You might be a bit delayed setting off on your trip.

Let us know how it turns out.

BTW, as a new member your posts will be moderated until you have five posts under your belt, so go find another few threads to post on to get that post count up. Being moderated means we won't see your posts until released by a moderator.

#2 dolj, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're gonna have a great trip with a new battery pack... Prius usually have the most problems when rarely driven rather than constantly being driven. Big city Prius used as Taxis go 400K miles without much issue.

Hopefully you have one or can quickly get one of these to keep in your glovebox: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484403768 so you can use a phone app like Dr. Prius to read and clear your own error codes so you're way less likely to get towed...

Also destination of your road trip is where i live so yr welcome to text questions3607898743

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    #4 alftoy, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  5. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is great, thank so much. My pup, well, she's not a hairy dog. Poodle who doesn't shed a bit, which is awesome. But, I'll mention it. 2019 for the Greentec, so no warranty now. Previous owner got the cheapest one. I said to greentec '40k seems like a small amount?' all He said was, well, they are all different. So, I guess it did a great job! Yes, I agree, the oil has been a quandary for me, too and not putting my mind at ease. I'll let you know..

6. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much! I went to my mechanic before buying some bluetooth adapter and the Dr. Prius app, but I will need that if I get on my journey! Looking for the 'Panlong' obdii adapter comparable for an iPhone. But, 400K for taxis sounds amazing. Hybrid Doctor is 1.5 hours away...? I'll try calling again.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pop quiz for the class: how many miles are there in a couple of months? :p

8. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. mamago

mamago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hiya Prius folks. Well, it's good to know humans are adaptable. From fear to confidence in a day. I finally contacted the PriusDoctor-also in Virginia-and he talked me through all my fears. He came out a couple days ago, took the Greentec (I was able to contact Grentec, 2019 for $1250.00 they put in a refurb battery pack and I went 4 years/40k on it) out, HybridDoctor, Ernesto, put in a new refurb for 800.00. I've got 2 year warranty. He spent a few hours here, I was able to get ( Icar Pro BLE 4.) into my car. He showed me how to connect to the Prius Dr., APP and what to look for in case of any issues. We talked about (why I got the Gen 2) the stability of Gen 2 and how he has to service a lot of Gen 3. My 12V was running at 11.6, so I went out and got a new one of those, as well. He installed it for me, got me the dealer discount at the auto place and was an awesome guy all around. Now, thanks to him and you Priuscamper and Dolj, I can cross fingers/pray/be prepared and love my Silver Sloop until 400K. Thanks!

bisco and alftoy like this.