1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replace seats for comfort

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by vertigo2k, May 28, 2005.

1. vertigo2k

vertigo2k New Member

So about a year ago I sold my 2000 BWM 540i and bought an '04 Prius package #9. So far, I've been thrilled with it. Of course, it isn't the same car as the BMW, but the lack of handling is made up for in spades with many other features.

The thing I miss the *most* about the Bimmer is the seats. The sports package on the 540 had fabulous leather seats that seemed to mold perfectly to my body. The seat in the Prius is more like a chair... it doesn't hold you in place at all. I find my leg getting sore because it isn't held into place by the seat -- it kind of floats all over the place without a place to rest.

Three weeks ago, I drove the Prius from San Francisco to Palm Springs -- about a 9 hour drive. I am *still* in pain from that drive. It seems to have severely bruised my coccyx (base of the spine). I'm having a hard time sitting down for long.

I have another long drive (to Wyoming) planned in August. Before then, I'd really like to replace at least the driver's seat with something that provides a lot more cushion and holds my body in place.

What options do I have? I don't necessarily want to spend the money for leather, but I'm willing to spend $4-500 for the driver's seat to fix this problem. If I can't enjoy my Prius on long drives, I'm really missing out!

Thanks,

--mike

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

How/why do you think the seat caused your back pain?

3. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe you could get some kind of squishy Tempur-Pedic type seat cover for the driver's side.

4. Craig0812

Craig0812 New Member

Mike:

I'm in agreement with you about the seat. In late April, I was involved in an accident with my Prius but luckily no injury to myself and no damage to the frame/unibody. During this time, I had an Corolla S model for over a month and that seat was much comfortable that my Prius. It felt like the seat was contoured against my body well. I agree with you as well in the fact that it just feels like you are just plopped in a chair without any support for the back. I don't think I will be buying any seat in the near future but I would like to try and find something to put on top of the seat for better support. Maybe the tempur-pedic idea will suffice..thanks..Green Lady...

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  5. Peter Davies

Peter Davies New Member

(London, UK) - I have just had a test drive of a Prius. I think it is a fantastic car and would really like to get one, BUT the driver' seat is so uncomfortable that I ended up with pains in both shoulders from the shape of the seat. By contrast my current Vauxhall Vectra is pretty comfortable.

Has Toyota used seats for the Prius from another Toyota car which might have more seat options?

Or has anyone successfully used some sort of insert that changes the contour of the back of the seat to suit the driver?

6. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter Davies\";p=\"95771)</div>
    Lumbar supports help a lot - see:
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/seat-heate...html?highlight=

... but the seat still provides very little lateral support, and no up/down adjustment, and no multi-driver memory. The seats in our passat GLX are still more comfortable. So if someone can identify a bolt-in seat w/ an air bag in about the right spot, that'd probably be the best. I wonder -- the Lexus IS is not a large car ...

7. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Prius Thursday last week and I did not like the seats either. I inquired about leather seats and the dealer said that leather would offend the Green buyers so Toyota doesn't offer leather in a prius. I pressed further and the dealer offered to have the seats recovered in leather for 1900$. I wanted to see the upgrade I was considering and they directed me to a Camry that had been done.
    WOW, I couldn't believe my eyes. They looked like a factory job with bolsters on each side and double stitching front and rear. I carefully inspected the front and rear seats and to my amazment they were, in fact, an aftermarket company that makes them custom for any car. Really very nice and heavy leather too. My wife and I both sat in them and agreed that they were the cats whiskers. We ordered them and my new Prius with 207 miles on the odo was returned to the dealer Monday morning. They said they would call me probably Friday.
    I will keep you posted regarding their fit and apperance when I get the car back. I can also send along digital pictures if your interested. I live in the east bay so it is within an hour of you.
    Paul R. Haller

8. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Paul, I am wondering how the new covers accomdate the airbags in the seat back or did you not order this package.

9. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just walked in last week and bought a #3 in salsa red. It was the only Prius they had. It does not have this option.
    Paul R. Haller

10. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    vertigo2k,

I had the exact same problem with the seats+long trip=lower back pain. I've been looking for a small yet stylish cushion to either place on the seat or ideally I'd like to stuff it inside the cloth seat cover.

Currently when I know I'll be in the car for any length of time (>1 hour), I place a small novel (1" thick or so) behind me and amazingly that's enough.

11. craigcush

craigcush Member

Well my two cents....

The dealer gave me a loaner/rental while repairing "their previous repair" and the seats were soooo much better!
    A new Corolla 'S' no less, I was surprised.
    There seems to be a market, but is complicated by the seat airbag. I have tried all kinds of covers, bolsters and pads without luck.
    A two hour trip is agony.
    Help?

Craig
    2000+ miles

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm interested to know how the leather turns out.

When I asked the place that redid the upholstery on my previous car about what was involved in doing my Prius, they told me they only redo in leather, they use all of the existing foam, etc from the car. So I don't see how redoing in leather would help the seats.

Now if the foam, etc were replaced, reformed then I could see it. I can even see being able to do that without messing with the airbags, etc. That I would consider.

The seats aren't that bad and I can live with them. I did drive 100 miles to L.A. and back the same night and the seats were as comfortable as my old car. Better in fact so it's not like I'm in pain or have something better to compare them to.

13. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I also hate my Prius seats!! I found out that the Toy. Matrix uses the same part # for it's seats, but that one model has a seat 'lifter' adjustment. Only comes in black though.

14. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2005 #2 is great - except for the seat. My right leg - with a history of sciatica - get sore as does my lower right back. I had the same problem with my '99 Corolla and took the seats out and shaved off the thigh "bolster" with a carpet razor knife. That bolster acted like a wallet in my back pocket.

The modified foam did the trick! However, I don't want to do that to my new baby so I'm using a seat product that has formed plywood in the seat and back. This works, but then I'm sitting way too high!

If anyone has a good idea I'd be appreciative.

15. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Has anyone looked into raising the front of the seat at the floor mounting bracket? Before we bought power seats, I had to do that so the seat would support my legs near my knees. It created a better "Bucket" to sit on and became very comfortable. I can't believe someone hasn't come up with a power seat conversion for the Prius.

We just traded our mini-van today for a service truck and we are both dreading our 1st long trip because of the lousy seats. I hope we can come up with a solution before then.

Doug

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  17. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I looked at the front mount of the seat last night and it should be easy to raise it a 1/2" or so. I ordered a 19"X19"X1/2" gel pad that I will sit on and see how it works. I had a gel pad a couple years ago that really helped, but I can't seem to find it now. If it works, I will install the seat covers over the top to hold it in place. I'll post the results.

Doug

18. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Venturer: If you have an '04 or '05, its not as easy as it looks. And gel pads, etc, are at best inelegant solutions. A different thread reports that when the seat front is lifted, the brackets no longer align, and then one must elongate, with a file, the rear mounting holes to move the seat forward to realign the holes. And from yet another thread, moving the seat rearward to increase leg room is well neigh impossible. Seating is the MAJOR design flaw of this vehicle. Has anyone hit upon easy(er) solutions for these two problems?

19. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Corolla or Matrix seat swap?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter Davies\";p=\"95771)</div>
    I use a blue cushion I got from Fred Meyer (check "HUMU's interior" in the photo album section). It works well enough and adds some color.

My discomfort in the Prius seat is the lack of thigh support, in part because the seat is un-adjustable for height. Seat back is ok.

The Chevy Malibu I am renting while HUMU is in the shop, is mediocre in virtually every respect, except that it has a better seat than the Prius; electric up and down as well as canting forward and backward. Nice touch.

You might ask your dealer if Corolla or Matrix seats will fit in your Prius.
    Bob

20. Venturer

Venturer New Member

I put a couple of washers under the front brackets and was still able to get the bolts in. It helped a little, but needs more lift for good thigh support. Anymore will require elongating the rear holes with a dremmel grinder. It looks to be real easy to do with the seat in place and the bolts removed. I'll try it when the gel pads arrive.

Doug