1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace spare tire with 12 volt compressor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by smdobson, Sep 25, 2006.

?
  1. Yes (I'd prefer the compressor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No (I'd prefer the spare tire)

100.0%
  1. smdobson

smdobson Junior Member

When I went on a recent trip and wanted more space, I removed the spare tire and replaced it with a $10 12 volt air compressor from Walmart. My 2006 Prius has the valve stems that let me know if the tire pressure gets low. The spare weighs about 24 pounds and the compressor weights about 1 pound and is small so it takes very little space. I haven't used a spare in years and the last time I did it was because of a nail in the tire that could have been easily inflated with the compressor to get it to a repair location. My wife said she would much prefer to use the compressor than to have to jack up the car and put on the spare. We no longer carry spare belts, sparkplugs, headlights, etc., so does it make sense to carry a spare tire? Is the car safer with a spare tire in place if I should get rear ended? Should mamufacturers stop providing a spare and provide a compressor instead? My 1991 Ford f-250 pickup only had the spare tire as an optional extra which I did not buy (I never needed it). Why don't cars come with air compressors and tire gauges? Thanks for any input you can give me.
    3-5-2007 Update. I had my first punture since removing the spare tire. It was a 1 inch long screw in the tread. The indicator on the dash let me know right away that the inflation was low on that tire, but the tire still looked fully inflated. I was only about 2 miles from home so I returned home and put a plug repair in the tire and reinflated it with the compressor. I also was carrying a $4 Walmart tire plug kit with me. I've decided that the compressor and plug kit is a good idea with or without the spare and that manufactures should at least include the compressor with the car. I'll continue without the spare for now and I hope that Toyota will see that as a good place to put the extra batteries for the plug in model.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveMD @ Sep 25 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]324589[/snapback]</div>
    What is you have a blowout or the puncture is big enough that the air leaks out too fast to get anywhere? BEcuase with the 2006 you CANNOT use any sort of tire sealant to help either, unless you want to spend over $100 for a new sensor.

If you are absolutely certain that you will never get a flat that is more severe than a simple nail in the tire, then by all means leave the spare at home.

I have three kids, so I will never take on that risk.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm w/ DocVijay for exactly the same reasons. Travel often w/ my wife and 3 kids and if the tire gets a fast leak that little compressor will never be able to fill it up as fast as the air leaks out and you could find yourself stranded.

Albeit a relatively rare occurance, you are assuming some significant risk. If you rarely or never travel outside of populated areas, have AAA or Toyota Roadside Service and your schedule makes it possible for you to absorb long delays should you have a blow out then it does make sense to forgo the spare for the compressor.

I sort of do the opposite though. I usually just leave the spare in the car. When traveling I throw in my compressor/jump start box to take into account both the risk of dead 12v and so I don't have to totally unpack the hatch to get to the spare if I get a slow leak on a tire.

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree with Doc and Evan. I have the compressor for small leaks, and the spare for big leaks. I'd rather be safe and a little late than unsafe and a lot late.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveMD @ Sep 25 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]324589[/snapback]</div>
    It's been a while since I've had to use a spare myself, but a couple years back I did have a sidewall blowout that would have required a tow truck had I no spare. There's also the case where you have a fender bender or other cluckerfust that puts a wheel into a curb and bends it or something. You may need it very rarely, but the times I've needed it, I've been pretty glad it was there.

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Last flat I had an air compressor would have been no help. I generally check my tires before a trip, so when they go flat suddenly they usually can't just be pumped up.

I hit a manhole cover just wrong once, and it sliced the side of the tire wide open.

I have an air compressor too, for slow leaks, but rarely need it on the road.
    I wish the Prius had a full size spare instead of the mini tire.

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My audio fanaticism had me consider removing the spare tire to build a sub enclosure in there. After regaining my senses, I figured it'd be a good idea to just leave the spare in there in case I ever do need it. I haven't gotten a flat in years, but you never know what's going to happen with these roads and drivers. The 12-volt compressor I have fits fine in the driver side cubby storage.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll take out the spare when i get a set of these: http://priuschat.com/Your-next-tire-t24900.html

Until then, i'll leave it in there and hope i never have to use it (only had to use a spare once in the past 5 years driving my old car)

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    had to go measure mine, my jump box is 7" by 8" by 3" and my compressor is part of a kit that also includes an 12 volt impact hammer (my gf would never be able to get the lug nuts loose without it...heck i would have a tough time if left with what Toyota gave me) all comes in a case 14 by 16 by 4. sure it takes up space, but like others, never consider leaving without it... well, actually the jump box i would (bought it for RC racing, not the car anyway)

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never had to use the spare on any of the cars we had and all our cars had their fair share of nails (1 on the Prius, 2 on the Camry and several on the Corollas). All of them had the affected tyre underinflated but only by a few psi. The nails usually act as a plug so the leak is fairly slow. Oddly, all except the Prius were in the front so it was noticeable when steering gets harder as the tyre deflates. The one on the Prius, I found by chance when I was spraying the tyre with dressing. Thank goodness. I was about to head down to the States a few hours later (got cancelled).

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i had a flat on my 04. it was down to 21 psi before i noticed it. it looked only slightly low at the time. i drove with the nail in it for weeks before i finally got it fixed. i just aired it up to 45 psi every 2-3 days or so. it had a nail in it. (used to live across the street from a lumber company. they had trucks that would unload in the middle of the street so pretty sure that is where it came from)

after i got the tire fixed, it was less than a month later, it started leaking again but slower this time. thought the patch job wasnt done properly (you would think that for free, it would last right??)

after a few weeks, went back to same place (flats fixed free for life at any Les Schwab's) was not a bad patch job, it was another nail. got it fixed and stopped coming home past the lumber place (i used to live on a street that was only 3 blocks long, so could come in either way.)

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My old Carrera came with *both* a compressor and a spare. The spare was a space saver that was uninflated; apparently one was to rely on the compressor to inflate the spare, before one then installed it in place of the faulty tire.

Oh, and the regular wheels and tires didn't fit into the trunk, either. The fronts would fit into the back seat, but the rears would just squeeze in up front(!)

I'll definitely take the spare over the compressor, but having a compressor too doesn't sound like a bad idea. Doesn't weight that much, I'd think.

Personally, I've always thought that we should switch to concrete tires and rubber roads. Although the spare would be LOTS heavier, wouldn't it?

13. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I'll go with a spare anytime especially since I have used them before. Even on a long trip with AAA/AARP (yes I showing my age) depending on where you're at it could take several hours. Just as easy to put the spare on and drive to a repair shop.
    A compressor would be not be a bad idea - the amount I spent on air (the free compressor at the station was broken and the one across the street cost) could probably have helped pay for a compressor.

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Questionable POLL...

Actually, I don't have a PREFERENCE. I have, and prefer, BOTH the spare AND my 12v compressor. Maybe the author needed to add "Both" to the choices. I use my compressor and an accurate tire gauge to maintain my balanced tire pressures regularly.

There could well be a situation in which an onboard 12v compressor could not inflate a flat - as in a blowout or bad sidewall puncture, so, there you'd be awaiting a tow.

15. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 3 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]327593[/snapback]</div>

Ahh, Fred Flintstone, childhood memories. :p