1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace spare tire with subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DocVijay, Nov 24, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

When I get my Prius, I plan on replaceing the factory wheels with some 17 inchers and some runflat tires. By doing this I can ditch the spare tire, and build a fiberglass enclosure to house a subwoofer. Can anyone think of any reason this couldn't be done? I would incorporate some sort of grill into the cargo floor to let the sound out. Does anyone have the approximate volume of the space? Any advice or comments welcomed. Thanks.

2. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 25 2005, 12:31 AM) [snapback]161280[/snapback]</div>
    You did not wind up doing this, did you?

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *bump* i like the idea. i would like to do similar.

i like all your car ideas honestly.

I don't really use the cargo tote.. with runflats, it would be less of a problem. Or.. i could just build a custom box where the tote box is.... you could fit probably 2 to 4 subs in there.

4. zibudog

zibudog New Member

Hi All

I did the "sans spare" route for over 10 years with an 88 LeBaron, a 93 cougar and 95 Sebring coupe. Had AAA and they alwasy brought me a doughnut and coffee when I asked :) I actually only needed it once when I slid off an exit ramp on ice and blew both front tires. Got 2 doughnuts for that one...but alas no coffee.

Don't know the volume off hand, the the spare well is a mighty fine place to house a sub and amp enclosure. You could get a lot in there and even keep it at the factory floor limit. I have AAA now and am trying to talk my wife into not divorcing me if I jettison the spare. Oh those wild recless days of singledom.

A thought on saving money in using a tire well... If you can effectively seal off the top lip with a flat or shaped board and caulk and the well itself is sealed...you don't need an enclosure - you already have one. Steel even! Just mount the sub(s) to the board over the whole, seal with caulk and viola! I recommend using a vented style enclosure tho...otherwise you may blow your seal. And Dynamating (or venerable substitute) the wheel well and surrounding metal to cut down on panel ringing. I don't know the Prius "well" enough yet...I have only looked up her skirt once and that was at the dealers...will post more in the coming weeks as I begin my quest for some bottom end in the little green monster

Cheers!!!

Mark

Its all about the pursuit anyway, not what you end up with. Why do ya think they said "Life, Liberty and the "pursuit" of happiness."??? :p

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Didn't realize people had been posting to this again... Sorry.

No, I never ended updoing this. I decided that with kids and all it was more important to keep the spare. If it was just me, I don't mind sitting and waiting for AAA, but with two small kids.... Forget it.

I'm going to have a fiberglass enclosure made that uses the cubby in the driver's side of the "trunk". This should give about 1.2-1.5 cu. ft. and should be able to hold most 8" or 10" subs. The JL 8W7 I was plannign on using may not fit, so I'm looking into other models.

6. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 12 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]318333[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts.
    I can picture it - on the way to the ski place - wife, dog, two boys - flat tire - typical Maine weather, negative 5 and wind blowing 55 MPH.

"Well, yes dear, it would be simpler if I just changed the flat myself. But you see, ah, there is this humongous subwoofer where the spare used to be - so AAA needs to bring a new tire when they show up here in the Antarctic - so they may be a while. Wish we could keep the heat on - but the stereo has drained the battery to zero and the car won't start. Put down the axe. Please!"

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Sep 14 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]319432[/snapback]</div>

Exactly...

8. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 24 2005, 09:31 PM) [snapback]161280[/snapback]</div>
    When I saw the title, I thought this would have something to do with liposuction. :lol:

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :unsure: That 12v auxiliary battery is about the size of a motorcycle battery. Sounds very much like it has been taxed beyond its design capacity.