1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace speed sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robl45, Dec 17, 2016.

1. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the dealer won't replace my brake actuator until the supposed bad speed sensor is replaced, can someone tell me if this speed sensor replacement is something I can do myself? Is there any place that details the procedure?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wheel speed sensors on front are pretty easy to replace. Just one bolt holds it in. You do need to remove the wheel liner (partial removal is enough) and one bolt holding the speed sensor on. Get extra plastic clips for wheel liner as some of them will break when removing. If you life somewhere where they salt roads a lot it may be hard to remove the bolt.

Rear speed sensors are in rear wheel bearing so probably you should just replace the whole bearing.

Which speed sensor is bad?

3. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    right rear sensor supposedly. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think it just through the code in the past week because of hard braking. Does that seem plausible?

I'm still in shock that I have to go through endless BS to get a brake actuator replaced when the code for the brake actuator was the only code showing the week before I brought it in.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe just try to clear the code and see if it comes back?

5. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did, its gone now, but now I still have the problem of the dealer not replacing the brake actuator since they say the speed sensor must be replaced. They actually said my speed sensor was causing my brake actuator to run every few seconds.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry I can’t help as I can’t really understand how speed sensor would cause brake actuator to run every few seconds without causing the code for wheel speed sensor or other codes.