1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced 12v battery - discovered dangling part and missing duct? (2010 Gen 3)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mbtans, Jan 5, 2015.

1. mbtans

mbtans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello forum, after considerable reading and preparation (compared to how I normally function), I replaced the 12v battery in my 2010 Prius yesterday and the process was a lot quicker than I expected. After quietly patting myself on the back, I realized perhaps my mechanical skills were not the cause of the quick project, as I considered the following clues:
    • A dangling part with one of those plastic connectors that snaps into a hole (pictured below)
    • No requirement for a socket extension
    • Potential missing ducting (pictured below: the black ducting on the left of the photo above the orange plastic)
    I took a few pictures and wondered who had been in my trunk recently. Can you help me (1) identify this dangling part and (2) determine if I am missing other parts? (I expected some ducting connecting to the black plastic vent off the big battery above the orange plastic)

Thanks,
    Max

Mystery Dangle.jpg Missing Duct.jpg
    Mystery Dangle.jpg Missing Duct.jpg

2. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The dangling bit is a temp sensor for the 12V battery and it clips onto the hold down bracket for the battery.
    My duct looks just like yours, so I don't think you're missing anything.

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, mine looks the same. I'd wondered whether that "dangling bit" is a temperature sensor or what. Know we know.

4. mbtans

mbtans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks both!

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A good reminder to take a picture of the original configuration before you begin the work.

kc410 likes this.