1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced 12v battery now Master Warning light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott Hadden, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Scott Hadden

Scott Hadden New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My 12v battery went bad because the car was not being driven much. I replaced the battery and when I started it up the Master Warning light came on and stayed on throughout a test drive around the block. Is there something else I need to do to clear this warning?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some will advise just disconnecting the 12 volt battery again for a few minutes to see if that clears the condition and it doesn't come back.

Not much to lose doing that, as you already lost most settings presumably replacing the battery anyway.

If the MWL stays on, there will be trouble codes to tell you why. Just read those, they will often indicate something simple, like some parameter needing to be relearned, with usually a simple procedure for doing that. Or it might be something else. Won't know without getting the codes.

Mendel Leisk, SFO and Scott Hadden like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Did you fully charge the new battery before installing it ?

Scott Hadden likes this.
  4. Scott Hadden

Scott Hadden New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks. That did it. Disconnected the battery, reconnected the battery. No WARNING light. Thanks again.
    SH

I did not. I had read most batteries come with a sufficient charge. I did disconnect & reconnect the battery and all was good. Thanks.
    SH

#4 Scott Hadden, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2021
  5. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just because you read that somewhere does not make it true.

It is NOT true. Or at least you should not take the chance.
    "Mail order" batteries usually come near to DEAD, for instance.

You should charge it up good NOW because it might be limping along with a partial charge and that is BAD for battery health and longevity.

And now would be a good time to check the charging voltage when the car is ON (ready) too.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe yes, maybe no? It wouldn't hurt to hook up a smart charger, let it run a full session. Check Owner's Manual, but I believe gen 2 OM stipulates 3.5 amp max. And that's probably a bit debatable; around 4 amp is not pushing it.

If you want to SEE where your new battery is at, an electronic load tester will do the job. Automotive retaliers selling batteries typically have them now, and will test for free, hoping to get and/or keep your business. Dealerships also have the testers, but more-n likely will charge a "diagnostic fee". They don't just check volts, like a multimeter: they also determine the as-tested Cold Cranking Amps, and give a diagnosis.

Pick up something like Solar BA9, an entry-level tester, and you can test for yourself. Good investment.

7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A 4 amp capacity charger almost NEVER really puts out 4 amps.
    If it does, there might be a problem that only a new battery will solve.

And you don't need a load tester to get a very good idea of the health of your battery.
    A charger, voltmeter and appropriate chart is all you need.

Attached Files:

• 12V.xls
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views: