1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced big battery just goes to neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by [email protected], May 2, 2011.

1. sww@noadt.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my first attempt at posting so forgive me if not doing right. I took my 2005 Prius to dealer and was told both battery computer and battery CPU were bad (easy $4,000.00 fix). So, I pulled big battery, located bad cell and replaced with simular voltage (7.9 VDC used cell). After re installing, the car will only go to neutral and will not start. Note, before tear down, car would start and run (i drove home from dealer). Befor pulling big battery I could reset trouble lights for short time by removing ground to AUX 12V battery. Now, lights don't change and are always on. Car wil not start or run and will only go in "Park" and "Netral" and "B" does not show on dash like usual. Please help.

Steve

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    First thing the trouble shooting experts will want to know are the fault code numbers.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the traction battery disconnect turned back to the locked position?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pressed firmly? It takes some force.

Tom

5. sww@noadt.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm not sure what traction battery is, but if it is the hybrid big batttery and your talking about the orange saftey disconnect than the awnser is yes. Any other battery outside of 12V battery, than no. sorry i know enough to be semi-dangerous. please advise

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming that you removed the orange traction battery interlock switch while removing and replacing battery modules: when you reinstall the switch you need to rotate the handle 90 degrees, then slide it to lock in place. The sliding part of the process is often forgotten.

If that is good, then you'll need to retrieve the current DTC to obtain a clue about what else is wrong with your car.

7. sww@noadt.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think your talking about the big battery with the orange safety disconnect. if so, it was not difficult to latch in position. if it should require a firm press than it may be broken. i did check that it has contnuity.

8. sww@noadt.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes i did slide it and lock into place, i do not know how to retrieve the current DTC (sorry don't know what DTC means) Thanks, please advise

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC - diagnostic trouble code

I suggest that you have your car towed to another Toyota dealer so that the DTC can be read and a diagnosis provided to you.

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This does sound like a problem with the orange service plug, specifically with the handle not being slid downward, after it completes the 90 degree pivot during plug insertion.

If not that, then there is a wiring problem inside the battery case.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not to be overly critical, but the OP's comments raise several red flags. His lack of familiarity with common terms such as "hybrid battery" and "DTC" suggest he shouldn't be mucking about inside of the hybrid battery module.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  12. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This does sound like a problem with hv service plug or its fuse.If someone forgets to install the service plug properly then remembers to reinstall the service plug while the prius is in ready mode will cause the the service plugs fuse to blow.There is aproximately 100 amp fuse within the removeable hv battery service plug (orange colored high voltage safety interlock).This fuse cannot handle the surge current to charge capacitors in the inverter with the system turned on and someone inserting the service plug.Normal prius operation energizes a (capacitor) precharge relay in the hv battery pack first then about one second later the main hv relay (within the high voltage battery assembly) is energized eliminating surge current and NOT blowing the service plug fuse.The service plug should be installed with the prius ignition/ready mode turned off.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    big battery? dont now about DTC... and you replaced the "big battery"
    lets call it the hybrid of tractions battery and not the "big battery"
    there are so many connectors you have to take of to takeout and replaces a cell.. check and double check them all
    and readup a liitle before you do anything like this.......
    really dont think you are for real... not reading about the hyrbid battery but replacing cells anyway is not a smart thing or just a fake post.

14. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Put the wrenches down before you kill yourself, seriously.

15. IABoy

IABoy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although I have not seen the traction battery, my impression is that it was quite heavy, several connectors to fuss with and not something for your shade tree mechanic to do on a Sunday afternoon. But I could be wrong. ;-)

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hybrid Components

It is visible if you remove the rear cargo floor and then the black tray underneath it.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I was able to carry my old HV battery from the back of my Prius to my work bench in the shed (about 25 meters) with little difficulty. It is not that heavy, and two people can handle it comfortably. I am 68 years old, but in good physical shape. :D

The only reason for a "shade tree mechanic" to avoid working on these batteries is the high voltage risk involved. :eek: You have to know what you are doing and be careful.

JeffD

18. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you remember to connect the hv ecu. The hv ecu is within the hv battery case. If the hv ecu is not connected the can buss will not be terminated with termination resistor. resulting is loss of communication with hv ecu and other ecu's on the computer buss.. If hv ecu is listening to data on the computer buss (functioning prius) You would hear two Relay clicks when turning on the car (ready mode).

19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is the condition of the 12 VOLT Battery????:cheer2::cheer2:

20. cooltroy

cooltroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to put the orange disconnect switch back in and my 2006 did the same thing, nuetral only.