1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced brake actuator/master cylinder. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike72903, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I replaced my brake actuator/master cylinder (not the pump/booster). Purchased a used one from JDM Engines they claimed was good and fit my 2010. I figured they would know. When installed and connected I filled the fluid reservoir and hooked the 12 volt battery back up. The booster pump ran for maybe a minute then stopped and did not run again. I assumed this was normal as there was no brake fluid in the actuator or the connecting lines? I hope that was a correct assumption. I apply the brakes and the pedal goes to the floor. Is that normal? Pumping didn’t help. Is it because the brakes have not been bled yet? I will have to bleed without TechStream as my copy expired. I plan to follow the “Nutz about Bolts” YouTube instructions first to assure I can get brake pressure before replacing my TechStream copy. Sorry for the length. I’m asking if the brake pedal going to the floor at this point is normal or an indication I did something wrong or if I need to return the purchased part. Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a normal thing to happen with a brake system that isn't properly bled, and yours won't be properly bled until you re-up with Techstream or get another scan tool that can do it (this thread reviews a bunch of choices and shows which ones can).

3. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I realize it won’t be “properly” bled. I just want to do a so called manual bleed to get the brakes functioning in some manner. I’ve read about it often here and other places and am under the impression that it works in some fashion in some situations. Whether or not it works after replacing the actuator IDK but wanted to give it a try. Thanks for letting me know my pedal to the floor is normal.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Normal" bleeding won't work. Because it won't pass through the abs system.
    You'll need techstream, or D8, or other hardware to do it correctly.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In some situations and in some fashion it sometimes does, enough for you to think you got away with it, and other times you just won't have that 'luck', and you'll know you have to go do it right.

Which is really better luck than having it seem to work well enough you think you got away with it.

6. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the reply’s. I downloaded version 18 of TechStream. I’ll see if it will install on my insanely old laptop that works insanely slow. Doubtful