1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced brake actuator question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike72903, Sep 28, 2023.

1. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got the replacement actuator installed. I get a “check hybrid system” on the display. Car has been off for at least 2 weeks with both batteries disconnected. Hybrid battery was reportedly at 50% before disconnection according to the Carista app. I ran the Carista app just now and it reported multiple failures with both the engine and the ABS. All errors said it would take professionals to reset or repair. I will have techstream installed in a couple of days. Will I be able to reset or fix the reported issues with Techstream or will it really require a pro shop?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You will need Techstream or equivalent to calibrate and bleed the system.

New or used actuator?

Did you unplug the orange hv disconnect and fail to push and then slide it in?

3. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It’s a used actuator from JDM motors. Because from who I got it I figured it would work. We’ll see. Lol I did forget to push the orange handle. Came back inside and watched a 13 second video on how to do it. I did it correctly then but it made no difference. I hope Techstream can help me.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The brake booster requires special calibrations and bleeding. So that alone will keep your hybrid errors. This is really not a first time diy job.

Double check all engine compartment cables are connected. This is a common problem.

After power has been off and finally restored you may have to try two or three times to get Ready. Nothing works without the hybrid battery. If that fails, then temporarily disconnect the 12v only and reconnect a couple of minutes later. Then try for a Ready.

By the way it’s is best to stay with one thread for continuity.

Mike72903 likes this.
  5. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FYI The “check hybrid system” was caused by the used brake actuator I installed. A communication issue that can’t be cleared by tech stream. Unplug the replacement and plug my original in and I can clear the check hybrid system message. So I’m looking at a new actuator from one of the Toyota discount online places. The problem is they show up to 4 different ones working for my 2010 and prices vary from $600 up to $1200. I have emailed their parts experts but have not gotten a reply. Nothing is easy about this situation.

6. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FYI The “check hybrid system” was caused by the used brake actuator I installed. A communication issue that can’t be cleared by tech stream. Unplug the replacement and plug my original in and I can clear the check hybrid system message. So I’m looking at a new actuator from one of the Toyota discount online places. The problem is they show up to 4 different ones working for my 2010 and prices vary from $600 up to $1200. I have emailed their parts experts but have not gotten a reply. Nothing is easy about this situation.