1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Brake Pedal Switch - Increased MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mr_tim, Mar 27, 2019.

1. mr_tim

mr_tim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was getting the Exclamation/ABS/VSC warning light combo about 6 months ago and had my skid control unit replaced which fixed the issue. Strangely my MPG seemed to take a nosedive from 49/50 on my daily commute to <42.

Earlier this month the lights were back. Having had the skid control unit replaced I decided to try replacing the brake pedal switch myself. After dismantling the dash and getting to the switch it turned out the new switch I had only had 2 connections rather than 4. Regardless I gave it a go. A few days in and no errors later my MPG has jumped to 50+. Any ideas why this could be?

Cruise control doesn't work - I guess the missing connectors were maybe used by that?

Prior to replacing the switch, Techstream was reporting the same error across ABS/VSC and Cruise Control units

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What DTCs did techstream report, before and after?

3. mr_tim

mr_tim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before replacing the pedal switch I had:
    P0571 and P0607 on the Hybrid and Cruise controls.
    C1249 (open circuit in stop light switch circuit) on the ABS/VSC/TRC

Now I just have a P0571 (brake switch A circuit) on the Hybrid and Cruise Control.

If I try and turn cruise on, the word flashes a couple of times and disappears

Any thoughts?

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did someone sell you the wrong switch? I wonder what would happen if you used the correct switch?