1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replaced cell but still getting triangle of death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joedirt25, Jul 25, 2024 at 2:04 PM.

1. Joedirt25

Joedirt25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All
    recently, my 06 prius battery cell #10 failed and was replaced. However, upon driving, the check engine and red triangle of death appeared. I had to reset the code inorder for the car to run. I did it several times in order to make it home.
    i got an obd2 scanner and drove around the neighborhood to get the red triangle of death to appear and it didnt disappoint. when pulling the code- its P3020. using dr prius i see #10 is 14.94 volt while other cells are above 15volt. so i am perplexed as to what is going on. any help would be great!
    IMG_2284.PNG IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2284.PNG IMG_2286.JPG

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You still have a problem with one or both of the modules that make up block #10.

Did you replace the battery module(s) yourself, or did someone do it for you?

Do you have pictures of your battery pack? How many modules did you replace and describe where it was located in the battery pack. I am guessing that you did not replace a module in block #10 and replaced a module in a different block.

FYI: Your battery pack is comprised of 28 battery modules connected in series. Each module has 6 cells (1.2v nominal) connected in series inside the plastic housing. Each module has a nominal voltage of 7.2 volts. A cell is not replaceable, but a module is replaceable. Two modules make a block. So, there are 14 blocks in the battery pack , as shown in the Dr. Prius app.

Modules #1 & 2 make up block#1.
    Modules #3 & 4 make up block #2.
    Etc.

#2 Brian1954, Jul 25, 2024 at 3:45 PM
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2024 at 4:06 PM
  3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was anything done to match the voltage on the replacement module to the rest of them before installing it?

Brian1954 likes this.