1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced front brakes at 120K. What other services should I perform?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PushaP, Jan 30, 2023.

1. PushaP

PushaP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive like a maniac and it was finally time for a brake job. Don't kill me, but yes I practically pushed it until I heard that metal sound. Replaced the front pads and rotors with OEM Toyota parts.

My question is:
    At 120k, what services should I perform on my 2014 Prius? I've only done oil changes... (don't kill me)

The shop that replaced my brakes recommended the following:
    replace spark plugs
    clean hybrid battery fan cleaning
    transmission fluid service
    engine water pump replacement?

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

^ Toyota USA Warranty and Maintenance Booklet recommends a "more in-depth" brake inspection, tri-yearly or 30K miles, whichever comes first. They're VERY vague, really only say to check rotors against specs**, but I would interpret that to include a full brake inspection, where you pull the calipers off the rotors, inspect/clean/lube the pads/shims/caliper, and relube the caliper glide pins.

The shop that replaced my brakes recommended the following:
    replace spark plugs
    <due according to Toyota USA (per Toyota USA Warranty and Maintenance Booklet). If you're interested in DIY, @NutzAboutBolts has a video* on it. Only, in video he lubes the new plugs liberally with anti-seize, then says to torque to 20 foot pounds. Repair manual spec's 15 foot pounds, with no mention of lube, meaning clean/dry threads.

clean hybrid battery fan cleaning<good idea. I would DIY for sure. @NutzAboutBolts has a video* on it; only, I would not pull the rear seat though: there's one bolt needing removal, just below air inlet grill, and you can just push apart the seat and back, reach through with an extension on a ratchet. It's 12 mm socket required IIRC.

transmission fluid service<good idea. Sooner the better. If you're comfortable with DIY oil changes, you could DIY the transaxle fluid change***. Only use Toyota ATF WS, see my signature for tips.

engine water pump replacement?<Judging by reports here, they've been failing, "somewhere" between 100K and 200K, so not a bad idea. Change thermostat too? There's genuine Toyota or Aisin, which is likely the company making the Toyota pumps. I think as long as you're sure it's not counterfeit Aisin you're ok. But I'm boxing above my weight, just what I've read here. Maybe others will weigh in. Consider changing the coolant pump on the inverter circuit too? That one's hard to access I've read.

* linked in thread pinned at top of this forum

** see link in my signature

*** see link in my signature

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  3. PushaP

PushaP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your supporting response. I used to help my Dad with cars as a kid but unfortunately don't own any tools, jack, or jack stand because of where I live. After watching some of the videos, including NutzAboutBolts, some jobs seem easy while others are more tedious.

The shop quoted me for the following:
    Spark plugs $85 —- $60 if with another service
    Hybrid Battery Fan cleaning $65
    Change Transmission fluid $165
    Engine Water pump $550

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Follow your maintenance schedule and add egr circuit cleaning, tranny fluid and battery cooling fan

PushaP and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh yeah, EGR! See first couple of links in my signature.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spark plugs $85 —- $60 if with another service<good deal, maybe too good. What plugs, and do they know the wipers and cowl need to come off??
    Hybrid Battery Fan cleaning $65<good deal.
    Change Transmission fluid $165<overpriced.
    Engine Water pump $550<fair price.

This is the place that did your brakes, not a dealership? I’d be cautious unleashing them on all this. Mostly cheaper, but…

PushaP likes this.
  7. PushaP

PushaP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The shop is Prius911 in El Segundo, CA. I came across them on yelp and they seemed to have good reviews overall.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  8. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Man those prices are great! I would take them up on the fan cleaning, spark plugs and ATF change (I paid $200). Make sure they’re using denso plugs, if not I’d supply my own spark plugs. See if you can get a quote to clean out your egr system too. You have a lot of time to wait on your water pump. I’d wait at least another 50k miles. It would be a good idea to have them change out both inverter and engine coolant as well.

PushaP likes this.
  9. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, $165 to drain/fill transmission isn't bad...my stinking dealership charges $315 even when I reminded them it's TWO plugs, just drain and fill!
    Water pump should only be replaced if it's leaking or starting to make noises like it's about to go out....one of those, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.
    I do replace all my radiator caps and fuel fill caps every 10-years because that's about the life of them...I've seen both fail around that time in the past. (And I replace only with OEM parts.)

PushaP likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Transaxle fluid change should not be over $100; the expense and complexity are sim to an oil change.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To be fair, the Toyota ATF WS fluid price has been climbing, from about $9 to $12 (CDN) per liter, local to me. You need to buy 4 liters for a change, and should replace the two washers, which are $2~3 apiece.

the deed, for a dealership with lifts, should take about 1/2 hour.

12. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For sure but I think the way the dealership gets away with it is to charge $315 which includes trucks which is a much bigger job than a sedan. My Tundra transmission change requires a scanner to ensure the correct operating temperature is reached before the final fluid level adjustment....about the STUPIDEST procedure ever invented! Just give me a dipstick already!!

13. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never heard of an EGR cleaning requirement/suggestion for the Gen 4 Pruis. Was the issue fixed so no longer needed? (I do clean my MAF sensors and Throttle Bodies every 3-4 years.)

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @jerrymildred is working at Tampa Hybrids, and they offer EGR cleaning. A 4th gen customer with miles around 300k asked for this cleaning, and they obliged, but Jerry said it was largely a waste of time, very minor carbon accumulation.

Toyota used 3rd gen owners as beta testers I’d say. :cautious:

jerrymildred and ColoradoBoo like this.
  15. PushaP

PushaP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you everyone for all your support. Since I lack the tools, I pulled the trigger to have it be done.

It took two guys about 30 minutes of work but hey, that’s the way
    $65 for the hybrid battery fan cleaning
    $60 for the spark plug labor (I provided OEM plugs)
    $165 for the trans oil (they provided the OEM oil)

The trans oil change was prob the easiest money they made but hey, it is what it is.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds about right.

BTW, I found a quick way to clean that battery fan. Someone here mentioned using Simple Green. Can't remember who, but it wasn't my idea. Works great. I open up the fan and use a brush and compressed air first if it's really built up. That takes off the big stuff. Then, holding the fan so the cleaner can't get to the motor, spray it with the Simple Green. The dirt just washes off. Rinse while also holding it so the motor area stays dry and blow dry. Comes out looking like new.

PushaP likes this.
  17. PushaP

PushaP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Should the fan be making an audible noise? Maybe I never paid attention to it but I noticed a whirl or wind sound coming from the vent area.

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Under normal conditions, you should not hear it. But if the battery gets warm enough, the fan will run fast enough to be easily heard.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. PushaP

PushaP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it possible I can hear it because it’s clean now or did the shop possibly mess something up? I was surprised to hear it. I was driving on the street and would turn on as soon as I accelerating on lights. I stopped once I got on the freeway.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it does sound like maybe something is wrong. i would ask them to take a look, although i can't think of anything they could have done to make it noisy. it is very unusual to hear the fan until the battery starts to get cranky, or on a really hard uphill drive in the heat.
    had you heard it before the cleaning?

jerrymildred likes this.