1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replaced gas engine but having issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mareno Rathell, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Mareno Rathell

Mareno Rathell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006 Prius with 215000 miles but the engine devoped a clacking noise that could of been bottom end, could of been lifters or could of been a broken timing chain tensioner......anyways I decided to purchase a used pruis engine from a totalled 2006 Prius with 102k miles for $200.

I installed the engine, removing it from the top rather then dropping it from below.

It's all back together and runs awesome except for the following issue:

Im pulling codes P0102 & P0453

When im driving it runs great but if i give it a lot of gas like you do when you want to pass someone or enter the freeway, it jumps as though it's getting too little or too much fuel or missing/backfiring....hard to tell.

If i ease off of the gas its fine. Ive had it up to 70mpg without any issues as long as i dont press the gas pedal too far down.

I replaced the MAF sensor wbut had to same results so i put the old one back in.

My oil level is dead on,

I replaced the oil, oil filter, ait filter, new iridium spark plugs gapped to .04, new pcv valve, new coolant and new tranny fluid.

Any clues????.?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0102 means there is an open in the MAF sensor circuit, so you should check the wiring harness connections.
    DTC P0453 means that the output of the fuel tank vapor pressure sensor is above spec.

techinfo.toyota.com will provide you with factory repair manual info regarding how to dig deeper into those issues.

3. Mareno Rathell

Mareno Rathell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :) Thanks for the info Patrick.

I did disconnect the MAF and it behaves exactly the same as with it connected so that's making me believe that the plug or the wires going to the end of that plug is bad not the MAF.

I couldn't find my volt tester to confirm.

4. Mrs.Diamond

Mrs.Diamond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any update for p0453?