1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Headlamps - I think I did this wrong

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shortzrules, Mar 26, 2009.

1. shortzrules

shortzrules New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ah, please bear with me, I have an uneasy suspicion that I've done something wrong....

Last Thursday the right side headlight was out. When I went to inspect it, I noticed that the light I assumed was a "fog light" was also out.

I checked my handy dandy owner's manual for headlight replacement (taking note of the voltage information for the replacement lamp)and trotted over to my local auto parts store and asked for a replacement and the helpful person gave me the # and I bought two headlamps.

The replacement was difficult but doable. The manual noted that the fog lamp needed to be replaced by the dealer and so I went to the dealership and they told me that the "Marker" light was out, they replaced it for a whopping $15.

Last night the driver's side light went out....again replaced it.

My manual never mentioned anything about having "HID" lights and I did mention that I'd replaced the one headlight at the dealership when my marker light was replaced....they never mentioned it either. So my question is:

Do all 2004 Prius have HID lights? Or were some packages of the 2004 the more traditional lights?

Thank you!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 (basic package) has standard halogen (not HID) headlights.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    did you touch the bulb? that can kill a new bulb.

4. shortzrules

shortzrules New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well it was the right light that went out on Thursday and the left light that went out yesterday. Odd? Yes. But my husband seems to feel that since both lights were installed at the same time, that going out within a week of each other is ok. I fear he may be in denial.

I'm glad to know that there are Prius's with the standard halogen lights....

I'm still a bit worried about so many lights going out at the same time...

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your car info indicates that you have a 2004 Prius, package #3. The 04 package 3 had halogen headlights. However, you state that you have fog lights. If you have fog lights, then you have HID headlights, and you don't have a Package #3.

6. shortzrules

shortzrules New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, no fog lights. My mistake.

The service tech. gently informed me of that fact when they replaced the MARKER light, I was a bit embarrassed, but the blow was softened by the fact that it is much cheaper to replace the marker light than my non-existent fog light.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your husband is right on this point. That's why it's common practice to replace both headlights when one wears out.