1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced HV Battery now car will not stay running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 04priusnow, Apr 30, 2013.

1. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi.
    Purchased an 04 Prius with 140k miles and bad HV battery. Used torque app and pulled original codes for bad HV battery. I was able to drive/limp the car home for tear down and replacement. After installing a used HV battery that had 80k from and 08 car. It will start but shutdown after a few seconds. I was able to put it in to drive and move it but it still dies. Energy display shows no battery status and now I get the connect to air conditioner communication warning. The battery's are reading 15.2 volts each from the torque app these are read in pairs so seeing 14 readings all within .1v of each other. I am not getting any codes from the computer. Any ideas?

2. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As an update. When I push the start button without pressing brake it brings up the energy screen. The battery is completely white and if or when it starts the screen dosent update showing the energy coming from ICE. Still no check engine light or error codes. I am going to try swapping the battery ecu out with the original.

SPH-L900 ? 2

3. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also another odd thing is I can't get the car to respond/power on withe the fob in the slot. I can if I remove it from the slot......usually other way around....

SPH-L900 ? 2

4. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok. Swapped battery ECU no change. Car seems to run longer but display still fails to show system status and have air conditioner not connected. Also car shuts off with no codes. Would a MFD failure cause the car not to run? Strange thing was when I first energized the system the climate control worked but ayer starting the first time it says disconnected. I'm at a loss right now on what to do next

5. MK500

MK500 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm definitely not an expert; but did you replace the 12V battery as well? From other threads I have seen that low 12V can cause odd issues. There are definitely several users here with a lot of expertise on battery system repair and replacement; so you'll likely get more useful advice soon.

Welcome!

6. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 12 v battery is 2 years old. It measures 12.4v with load and when car runs the voltage goes to 14.6v. I think this also means the charging system is working . another thing I noticed is the HV fan isn't kicking on. On the old HV battery it was at max because of limp mode I guess. Now it do sent appear to be turning on.... Even monitoring through torque app shows it off....

SPH-L900 ? 2

7. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Check the HV plug is clicked into place (pushed in, handle swung down till it clicks).

8. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did, plus checked for continuity at the connector that runs back to the ecu. Originally I didn't snap all the way down and had a red exclamation mark on dash. Car wouldn't start

SPH-L900 ? 2

9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Then I would suggest checking fuses , including the one in the HV plug, then the ones in the engine compartment. I'll defer to others on the next step after this.

10. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fuses is good at HV plug. When inserted I have 228volts at relay

SPH-L900 ? 2

11. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also all fuses in 12 volt fuse box under hood is good

12. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More details would be helpful.

READY is displayed on the combination meter, yes or no.
    ICE starts up and then shuts off within a few seconds?
    READY stays on whether in drive or park after the ICE shuts off?

You should try the inspection mode to see if you can get the ICE to keep running.

13. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will try to run inspection mode. Unfortunately I am unable to start or even get the car in ready mode with fob in slot. The instructional videos first step is to insert fob in slot.
    I attached a photo of the only screen, Minus diagnostic menu, that I can enter.

Attached Files:

14. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok entered inspection mode but my screen has not changed. It does not show green or yellow arrows for energy sources. If I press climate this screen shot appears

Attached Files:

15. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ready is displayed in park and drive. It seemed to run fine, the ICE anyhow, in inspection mode. After leaving inspection mode it now only runs for 5 or so seconds before shutting off. When it dies in drive I get a red triangle and beeping until I push park then the triangle goes off and all is silent.

Attached Files:

16. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Other photos from torque

Attached Files:

17. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another

Attached Files:

18. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The state of charge at 44% is a little low but should still register at least one purple bar on the SOC meter on the MFD.

19. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the engine actually burning fuel? (the exhaust system will heat up) When the car is trying to start the engine it brings it up to full idle speed so it does sound like it's running when it's actually just being spun by the motor....

The keyfob thing is very odd. Has the car been in some kind of accident....?

20. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No accident I can tell. All reports were clean and no body damage. In inspection mode it runs fine the gas engine that is. It also feel and smells like its running when in normal mode just dies. Not only are there no purple bars on battery status but there are no arrows showing where the energy is coming from. Also in inspection mode the display top left hand corner dosent flash red like the video. MFD seems slow transitioning between screens...also getting the air conditioner not connected message