1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Main Battery; Now car starts every other time

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by mbyrd, Aug 1, 2010.

1. mbyrd

mbyrd New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just replaced the main battery with a refurbished battery in my daughter's '02 Prius. I couldn't believe it actually worked! However, when I try to start the car it only starts every other time. For example, if I try to start it 10 times it will only crank on 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, & 10th tries. I am still showing the car with the exclamation through it on the MFD & the orange triangle with exclamation, but I don't have the main battery light showing any longer.
    Someone is sending me a scanner so I can determine the codes. Could it just be that the codes need to be cleared? If so, do you think that is what is causing the 'starting every other time' issue? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you "Flipped Up" the lever on the orange main service plug at the HV Battery. I didn't realize it flipped up, and experienced the same thing you are seeing I believe, because the car also would only start on the second try everytime. Once the lever was correctly seated in it's upright position, the "Triangle of Death" went away.

2 people like this.
  3. mbyrd

mbyrd New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    TexomaI don't remember flipping the lever up, only plugging it in. I will definitely try that this afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 person likes this.
  4. mbyrd

mbyrd New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Woo hoo! That worked Texoma! Thanks for the pointer.

2 people like this.
  5. Craigndeb

Craigndeb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

Thanks you so much for this posting!!! Husband and I just pulled opened, troubleshot, and replaced the sensing harnesses on the Gen II replacement battery on Son and Daughter In Law's recently purchased 01 Prius. Very slapdash work by the guy who flipped the car. We were thrilled to discover an inexpensive fix to their problem but were baffled by the every other start problem... Thanks Texoma whoo hoo indeed.. Triangle of Death is gone and the kids are back on the road:)