1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Oil Pan Gasket

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by magruder, Jun 14, 2009.

1. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I replaced the oil pan gasket on my Prius, and that fixed my oil leak. Luckily, the leak was coming from the lower pan and not the upper pan. It was a very easy fix. Also, if you look closely at the pictures you can see that the pan was slightly dented. It appears that the pan hit something and became warped enough to allow the leak.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice work.

Did you notice any metal debris inside the oil pan when it was removed?

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The pickup screen is nice and clean. You have 165K?

4. nthach

nthach New Member

Did you use a aftermarket cut gasket or re-sealed it with Toyota's black RTV or Permatex Ultra Black?

5. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found no debris in the pan. I actually have 167k now, just need to update my signature. I actually used hi-temp silicone from the local auto parts store.

Regards,
    Dave

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most "gaskets" now are RTV, eg differential covers are usually glued on with that glop, even transmission pans are now. If you're not careful to cut the seal between the pan/cover and the case, you can easily bend/warp the case

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, my GF's Toyota truck did not use an oil pan gasket - when I pulled it to do the timing chain I put it back together with Toyota FIPG (form in place gasket) aka Black Silicone adhesive. It works great as long as you clean everything thoroughly before using.

If the top of the engine is as clean as the pickup, that engine will run a long time. Are you using dino or syn oil?

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I concur; the innards look lovely.

9. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think the pan was bent when it was removed. I don't have any evidence that it ever has been removed anyhow. It seems more likely the pan hit something, that explains the bend on the curled edge of the pan as well.

I'm using synthetic, but I bought the vehicle with about 162k, so I don't know the history.