1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced the factory junk!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ronjuan, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ronjuan

ronjuan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Took the big leap and replaced my JBL Premium (Not so premium) factory sound system....
    Installed a Pioneer 950 Unit- front speakers with Infinity 6030cs and rears with Infinity PR6500cs and a Sony xm-GS400 amp.

WOW!!! what a difference ....the sound is beyond fantastic!!!

PS...anyone wanting to purchase any of my factory stuff it is available cheap.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good move!(y)

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. Glen Marr

Glen Marr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's awesome. I'm also in the process of upgrading my JBL premium system. I looked at the speakers you installed and for whatever reason Crutchfield has them listed as not fitting my 2007 Prius. Did you have any fitment issues? Also, any reason you went with 2ohm impedance on the front speakers and 3ohm impendance on the rears? Lastly, did you completely remove the factory amp or did you use a line out converter to retain the factory amp controls while using the Sony amp to power the speakers? Any feedback to these questions would be greatly appreciated as I may end up ordering the same exact speakers that you did.

At the moment I have a subwoofer, box, and amp coming in the mail (Pioneer TS-SW2501S4, Pioneer PRS-D800, & Pioneer UD-SW100D), but I definitely want to upgrade the door speakers as well.

Thanks,
    Glen

5. ronjuan

ronjuan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No not really...drilled different holds to screw them in but no they are really good...I put the 65oo in the back since they have a little more base. Yes the factory amp was so weak that the Pioneer was barely audible....I purchased the speakers through Techronics on ebay and one of them was the last pair they had....I paid $103 for PR6500 and $97 for the 6030. The sony amp was $170 that I purchased from the guy who did the install....I didn't do the install myself and am glad that I didn't. The amp is wired in to the starter battery and is still under the passenger seat and fit there nicely. I also purchased the Pioneer unit from ebay...$500. I didn't put in a sub woofer. Hope that helps.

6. Glen Marr

Glen Marr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback. I was trying my best to retain the head unit for audio, but apparently it's completely dependent on the stock amp, which sucks because it processes audio in a way that creates lots of unnecessary peaks. Just check out the first graph here showing some crazy processing going on at 70hz and 1000hz (no wonder people think this system is awful): Prius JBL Audio system response, specs, and photos. In order to fix this, one would have to sink more money into the amp than it's worth (line out converter to another amp).

Today I ended up ordering an Alpine 148 head unit along with a Alpine power pack that boosts the head unit to 4 x 45rms at 4ohms. I plan on mounting this below the stock head unit. When I get everything installed I'll buy the door speakers from the installer to toss them a bone so that I don't show up asking them to install 100% online purchases.

I'm excited to replace my factory junk as well!

7. futuredenied

futuredenied Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    how much for the amp? is it the 3 plug amp? I also nee the door speakers and tweeters for both right/ passenger doors? Shipping would be to 40165

8. ranczar

ranczar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am interested in the the LEFT front door speakers (midrange/base and tweeter). Please quote your price, shipped to 48116. Thanks.

9. ronjuan

ronjuan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sorry guys that I didn't pick up these questions earlier but I have been away....I sold everything to one individual....

Thanks for your inquiries.

Ron