1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Auxiliary Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bigdog148, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Bigdog148

Bigdog148 New Member

I have an '04 and it is time to replace the auxiliary battery. I suspect many of us will face this soon, if not already. Has anyone found a replacement battery that is NOT the dealer battery? As many of you know, they charge 2-3 times the cost of a "normal" car battery but only warranty the thing for 12-months. Not much for the money. Any help is appreciated.

2. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bigdog148 @ Mar 23 2007, 09:20 AM) [snapback]410959[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '06... and have never replaced the battery... but I know from this site that there is an issue with them.

Anyway, for fun, I just went to www.sears.com and they list 2 batteries for the 2004 Prius for either $78 or $58... Will these work? Just curious...

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bigdog148 @ Mar 23 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]410959[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, they are a normal car battery. I have one from my SVT Contour rigged in my truck right now. You can go to Autozone and pick one up for no more than another car's.

Batteries are never warrantied for very long, they're very easy to abuse depending on your mods and the electrical system condition of your car.

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Mar 23 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]411055[/snapback]</div>
    I had heard that the Prius battery was like a marine battery. They are always more $$. I thought I heard something about more "Deep charging" in marine batteries. I don't know for sure.

C Wagner likes this.
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 23 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]410972[/snapback]</div>
    The answer is no. These are standard wet cell lead acid batteries. They may cause corrosion and dangerous outgassing of hydrogen. Your battery is in the passenger area and must be safe for that location.

The original is a "Glass Mat" gel cell battery that will not spill acid if tipped. It also has a vent tube that makes certain that any generated hydrogen (only in the unlikely case of extremely high currents) does not collect in the passenger area.

There are alternative batteries for about $100 plus another $25 for a kit to make them fit in a Classic Prius (2001-2003). You will have to search to find one for your Prius.

JeffD

C Wagner likes this.
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 23 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]411061[/snapback]</div>

I think you mean a Deep Cycle battery.

7. Bigdog148

Bigdog148 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Mar 23 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]411063[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. This makes sense, now. I checked on the batteries Sears offers and neither will work because the posts are standard sized, whereas, the Prius battery has smaller posts.

I appreciate the feedback from all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 23 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]410972[/snapback]</div>

I checked on the batteries Sears offers and neither will work because the posts are standard sized, whereas, the Prius battery has smaller posts. Thanks for checking.

8. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's the text of a post from a Yahoo group about the battery for a Classic Prius...I don't know if the same size will fit the 2004+......

Message: 10 Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 04:02:11 -0000 From: dldorrance Subject: Re: 12V Battery specs wanted for 2001 ***UPDATE*** Pehaps not all is lost in the quest for a less expensive replacement battery for the Classic Prius. Has anyone considered the battery used in the Mazda Miata? It is my understanding that in the Miata the battery is located in the cabin and is vented, like the Prius. The Miata battery, like the Prius battery does not use liquid electrolyte, but rather a glass substrate on which electrolyte is absorbed. This prevents possible leakage and decreased the likelihood of hydrogen emissions. Furthermore, the Miata battery is very close to the size of the Prius battery and the battery posts appear to be in the proper configuration (positive post on the right front). Here are two sites which sell this battery: http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=MAR-8AMU1R http://www.westcobattery.com/miata.html The sole remaining issue is what modifications are necessary to mate the Prius battery cables to the Miata battery, assuming the posts are different in size. Dave '01 Prius

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The new model Prius 12 v battery is the same physical size as in the classic, or pretty darn close. Its pos and neg terminals have been reversed though, so a degree of ingenuity will be required to make the Westco/MKbattery/elearnaid battery solution work.

10. lymbuj

lymbuj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i just had to get a jump for my 2005. The Toyota Roadside Assistance woman told me to drive the car for 30 minutes or so after the jump and i should be good to go. But now of course, i'm fearful that the car won't start in future.

My cousin has one of the first Prii, has had to get the battery jumped only once, and had not replaced the auxiliary.

so my question is does one always have to replace the auxiliary? should i just get it replaced now that i've had to get a jump? (even the dealer - Toyota Thousand Oaks - didn't think i would need to replace it)

any helpful suggestions welcome

Jeff

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jeff (aka lymbuj),

If you have access to a digital voltmeter, I suggest you measure the voltage across the 12V auxiliary battery after the car has been IG-OFF for an hour or more. (You can also measure voltage from the dedicated jump start terminal in the main relay/fuse box, to unpainted body metal.)

If the voltage is 12.6V or greater, then don't worry. If the voltage is much below that then it would be a good idea to think about buying a replacement soon.