1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement gas cap for 2009?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Maytrix, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've ordered one on amazon and it was wrong. Just went to Napa and that too was wrong. It looks like the one I need must have a thread but neither of the ones I got have that and everything I look up online is without a thread as well.

I'm not sure why something so simple is being so difficult. Any help anyone can give?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would get one from olathe or camelback toyota. it is an important part of the emissions system

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Local dealership parts counters often have reasonable prices, too. It's probably about $30 and you'll know it's the right one.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's really odd because I have a stant branded cap that fits my Prius I believe it was on a Corolla before The only reason I don't use it is because it takes a key lock to get it off and I'm not too much about that even with the current gas prices. I'll try and get the number off of it for you but it's a screw thread just like all the gas caps on the planet up until whenever we're talking this non-threaded capus come along The ear the caps with the ears on them two slot sticking out well they've been gone for a minute One of my early Corollas had that is 71 KE series

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi this is too funny so apparently the '04 and 5 caps are not the slotted ears but they are ear design two tabs sticking out and locks in place but has a spring click mechanism in it so all what's happening to you is you're getting the '05 and early 06 model cap given to you they need to look the next line down and you'll be set

6. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, its odd. Even searching I find the ones with the ears. I'll get one locally from our dealer. Really not any further then napa was and at least I'll get a toyota part. Thanks!

Mendel Leisk, jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you do take the one back to the parts store to get your money back when they look up the car again if you if you have them do that if you make sure they trace the line from the '09 over and get that part there's just a one number or something different on the part between the ears and the threads My 09 has threads my 05 has the equivalent of ears. They have both of these caps at the auto parts store I just have to make sure I'm putting the right cap on the right car and getting the right cap for the given car That's my job it's the parts counter guys job to look it up correctly and follow the line across the page of the screen The two parts are probably very similar and have a last digit or something that's different

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get your parts from a Toyota dealership parts department. You’ll need to tell them model/year, possibly level and VIN, and they’ll figure it out.

jerrymildred likes this.