1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement key for 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike Zaisser, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mike Zaisser

Mike Zaisser New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone recommend an alternative to getting a new key that costs upwards of $200.00 from a Toyota dealership?

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can buy a new fob from Autonation or Olathe Toyota for under $120 and then do the chicken dance that is linked above.

AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

Search for "transmitter" using the search function.

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. thzpcs

thzpcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll also second Olathe Toyota (parts.olathetoyota com), I buy just about everything there.

5. mkgrayfox

mkgrayfox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another source: metrotoyotapartsnow com, currently selling the fob (transmitter) for $113.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I just bought a new one from Dayton Toyota through ebay for $100 + $5.95 shipping. It has a Toyota dealership receipt and a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty. The same dealership also sells it through Amazon but it's $120 with free shipping, so a $14 difference.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The prices of these keys sure came down a lot. I use to be able to sell them for $175 and they sold like hotcakes.

SM-N900P ?

8. thadogsluvthaprius

thadogsluvthaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, go to ebay and search for "Toyota Smart Key Backup Remote MOZB21TG MOZB31EG Prius Silver and Black Logo". It's a back up mechanical key with a chip in the grip part, costs about $34, free shipping. I have one, you can program it yourself, instructions on the listing and the seller has video posted with very clear instructions.

I bought one for the kid's car because we only have one remote that is not in the greatest shape button-wise. Took me about two minutes to program it, works great. You do need to get the blade cut so you can unlock the door, that's about $7, depending on where you go.

Better then spending $100 for another remote, I do plan on getting another one, but for now this works as a good back-up.