1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement navigation/GPS DVD for 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hyperlexic, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hyperlexic

Hyperlexic New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Folks,

I realize there are some other threads on this topic, but I couldn't find/understand an exact answer, so I thought I'd raise a new thread instead of engaging in thread necromancy.

I have a 2004 Prius with the navigation, and the maps are pretty out of date. In particular here in the Bay Area there's been a lot of work on the bay bridge approaches in SF, and the new SF-side approaches aren't reflected. So I'd like to get a new data set. Naturally I don't want to pay $300 to toyota for it, so I wanted to get advice here.

According to an earlier thread, Narf says "Be sure you get one for an 04/05 Prius. In 06 they upgraded the nav screen and it uses a different software version. There should be a 7.1 disk available specifically for the 04/05 cars". Sorry, I can't post the link in my post since I'm new to the forum.

Could anyone give me more info on this? Some specific questions:
    1) What specific version / title should I be looking for in the replacement DVD?
    2) What sources would you recommend looking at for a new/replacement DVD? E.g., any online stores?

My current DVD says 'W41' in the upper right, and then 'Data Ver 04.2' at the bottom; and has what looks like a serial number saying 5-464210-018.

Thanks!

2. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have a Gen 4 v4.2 DVD. You need a Gen 4 v10.1 DVD for the latest maps. Google Toyota (or Lexus) Gen 4 v10.1 Nav and you should find them for $50 - $75. They can be found on craigslist also. Just make sure its a GEN 4.

3. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello. I have an '04 and have upgraded my Navigation DVD twice. I currently have version 9.1 which was put out in late 2009. Search on eBay with the keywords "Gen 4 navigation DVD". The DVD's are interchangeable with a number of different Toyota/ Lexus models so just search through the listing.

You will get a list of available items with a date from 2004 (which in reality has information that was based on 2003 data) to the latest version 10.1 which will be the latest. You should be fine with a version from the last 2 to 3 years (v7.1 to 10.1). Just make sure it is for Generation 4. Some here say they only update half the country each year--but I have no idea if that is true. My version seemed to be about a year behind the new road construction when it was new, but the POI's don't seem to change much.

I got mine for about $50 when it was almost new (in late 2009). You have to be a little patient and wait for a few weeks and check new listings to get a good price. I didn't want to pay over $75 and I finally got my price. I then sold my old one on eBay for about $10.

4. Hyperlexic

Hyperlexic New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    folks,

Thanks for all the help! I'll look for a Gen 4 navigation DVD.