1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement of factory stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Rodrigo Frade, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Rodrigo Frade

Rodrigo Frade New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi

I have a 4th gen Prius (2016) with the gps unit from factory. I dislike the stereo (mostly because of the absence of apple CarPlay). I a, considering replacing it with a Pioneer AVH-X8700BT

Do you know if there is a way to get CarPlay installed?

If not (I am almost sure it is), what cables, accessories I will need for this replacement (to keep the reversing camera, steering wheel controls and gps/navigation) unit working

Thank you.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There are no Toyota vehicles on Apple’s list of models that work with CarPlay, so I think you’re correct about its absence.

As for replacing the radio head unit while keeping the factory-integrated GPS navigation system, I’m not sure this is possible. On the U.S. version, it’s definitely not: the head unit is the Navigation Receiver Assembly and contains the map database, gyro sensor, and other essential components. I have limited information about European models, but it appears that a separate Navigation ECU is used, with several connections to the Radio and Display Receiver Assembly, as seen on page 7 of this electrical wiring diagram:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/td3ewd/EN/EM3211E.V.1_v1/ewd/contents/system/pdf/AS-BUI.pdf

I don’t see anything in the specifications for the Pioneer AVH-X8700BT (a discontinued model, by the way) that suggests it would work with the LVDS connection used by the factory Navigation ECU, only with Pioneer’s own add-on navigation system.

The wiring diagram linked above also shows the connections for the backup camera, page 5, and the steering wheel buttons, page 8. Ignore the Navigation ECU on pages 5 and 6, which is for Korea only.

3. Rodrigo Frade

Rodrigo Frade New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Brilliant. Thank you so much. I googled a good bit yesterday trying to get the wiring diagram without much success. I will look at it and work on a plan to get CarPlay. Thank you very much.