1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Shocks/Strut inserts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cairo94507, Nov 14, 2009.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, my Prius has 124,000 miles on it and 100K of those are with the TRD shocks and springs. It is time to replace those shocks with some new ones that will return some of the tighter handling the car had 100K ago. I have searched and the only replacement shocks for the '04 to '09 body I can find, other than the TRD's are made by KYB. Does anyone know of any other aftermarket manufacturer making shocks for our cars? Thank you. Cairo

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey cairo.

Have you thought about going to a full-on coilover setup? It'll be a harder and a little lower than what you have now, but I imagine it would really improve the handling quite a bit. I'm hesitant to get coilovers myself because we have winter and road salt in Chicago. Where you live would be perfect for a set though.

HKS, Tein, Bilstein, and Tanabe make kits.
    Toyota Prius 2004 ~ 2009 NHW20 Performance, Handling & Electronic Accessories :: Sigma Automotive

turnerdhr has the HKS set (I think) on his car :rockon:, you might want to ask him about his experience with them.

EDIT: for some reason the site seems to automatically add the thumbsdown thing everywhere because I'm blocking some javascript scripts from running.

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the information. I just don't know if I want to spend $1,500 for struts on a car with 124K miles on it. I will give it some thought and do some additional research. Thanks again.