1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement traction battery, standard style cells v tubular cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by T1 Terry, Dec 17, 2018.

1. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Looking for those with some first hand knowledge regarding the use of the different types of cells.
    My traction battery appears to have dropped a cell or 3, it won't hold a charge for very long even sitting in Park mode. 5 mins is enough for the voltage and capacity to have dropped far enough for the secondary plug in battery pack to click back in and top up the charge.
    Rather than stuff around pulling the battery pack out and doing a part fix I'd prefer to just replace the whole thing. The removal is far more complex than usual because the 40Ah secondary 76 cell pack has to come out first, doing it once and doing it right seems to be the best move.
    So, the choices are, either trading in my old core cell pack on a replacement, or, changing the whole set up to the tubular cells and keeping my original battery to play with and maybe make up a battery for my other newer model but a lot more kms on the clock unit (ex taxi, 720,000) Does anyone have any first hand knowledge regarding the use of the tubular cell replacement pack?

T1 Terry

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what you're talking about. what country are you in? has the battery been modified in some way?

3. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are two different traction battery replacement packs now available for the GenII and I believe the other generations as well. There is the original block type cells and now cylindrical cells built into a complete replacement pack.
    I'm in Australia so importing a pack from the US is far too expensive, the difference in the USD to the AUD, the huge freight costs out of the USA and now we have an additional 10% GST imposed this end on the AUD price and the freight costs including all the handling fees as it gets off the boat/plane and onto the customs mob and out for collection.
    There is an Australian based supplier a few states away that I can get a cylindrical from for around AUD$2,000 including freight, although freight of anything with lithium in the name tag copes a premium on top, greedy buggers cashing in on the scare campaigns put out by the lead acid battery mobs.
    Before I part with the money I was wondering if anyone who had actually installed one of these cylindrical cell batteries and could pass on their own experiences as to how well they performed.

T1 Terry

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but what about, 'the removal is far more complex than usual, because the 40 ah secondary 76 cell pack has to come out first'

what is that?

5. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It has an additional plug in battery pack. This is the ex Jason in Oz vehicle 2006 iTech, let the mods / upgrading commence | PriusChat if you want more detail on just what is in there. I knew the traction battery was in great nick when I bought it, it seems to have dropped its bundle while I was a away for a week and doesn't seem to hold a charge at all now.

T1 Terry

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what happens to weak packs, unfortunately

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The batteries don’t have any lithium in them as far as I can tell. I think you are talking about the CEBA kits out of China. Is that correct?

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know of only 4 places selling cylindrical packs. Only one, @2k1Toaster here, is trustworthy. He has tested the CEBA cells and they do not perform to the capacity of OEM spec even though they are labeled as such. They must use a lower grade cell.

Since you said you will not buy from the US, the only other best option is either a new Toyota battery from the dealer or one from a low mileage Gen 2 or 3 junkyard wreck.

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OPs car has a lithium PHEV system from PlugIn Supply. In addition to the stick pack.

Of I were you, I would find out the cost of a stick pack first.

That said, if you are handy, an aftermarket cylindrical cell kit may be an option. Bit it has not been tested as much as the Toyota pack.

10. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't ya just hate it when you spent ages on a post only to loose it ... I'll try again
    thank you all for sharing your knowledge, particularly regarding the likelihood the locally available cylindrical cell battery would likely be the CEBA cells and not up to the claimed specs.
    The next option was a S/H battery from a vehicle wrecker (I think they are called Vehicle dismantlers over there) For $400 I get a 1 mth warranty, at least enough time to check if it will last longer than it will take to fit it.
    I'm now at about 6:30 into this You Tube video
    and it has taken me 2 1/2 hrs. A lot more to do when there is a 240vdc battery where the spare tyre should be and all the supporting electrical gadgetry required mounted around it. It took 45 mins to tunnel down to where the 12v battery lives and another 15 mins securing the high voltage cables from the PHEV battery so I didn't make an ash of myself.
    Time for a coffee before taking on the traction battery cables removal and lifting the battery out, I'll post more on what I find once I get it out.

Happy New Yr to all

T1 Terry

Prodigyplace likes this.