1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement wheel question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by toddjoslin, Feb 9, 2014.

1. toddjoslin

toddjoslin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my 2007 Touring Prius used four years ago. It came with chrome wheels that had started to peel. Two of the wheels won't seal properly and I have to inflate them each week. Looking for 4 new wheels. The service guy where I get my oil changed said not to get anything but OEM rims/wheels. He said after market ones never work right and always have issues. I'm wondering if that is true. Also wondering if anyone has after market wheels on and has any advise on which ones to get and where. Thanks in advance.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    quality aftermarket wheels are just as good or better than oem. but, never buy chromed wheels. they always peel and they look like bama garbage even when they're new. I would avoid Chinese made wheels as well. they tend to be poorly cast, and usually look cheap. there are a few threads about quality light-weight forged wheels. that's what you want if you don't like the oem cast wheels.

3. toddjoslin

toddjoslin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. Any brands that I should look at? Checked some posts and people mentioned going to tirerack but each wheel I looked at said my tpms wouldn't fit and would need to buy buy new ones.

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that may be bs. they want to sell you tpms but I doubt they even know if yours will fit. I have seen benz oem sensors on all kinds of aftermarket junk wheels; you really need a mechanic friend to help you out on this. ideally, you'd remove a tire and check your sensor for fit on the wheel you like. kinda hard to do that online...
    look for pictures of wheels you like on this site and ask the owner about their sensors. they might be able to help you out.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If your current wheels are chromed they are not the original, these are alloy. You may well pick up a set of good OEM touring wheels on Ebay for little money. They are 16 inch compared with the normal Prius wheels in the US that are 15 inch.

John (Britprius)

6. toddjoslin

toddjoslin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help guys. Seems like the 16 inch touring wheels are a bit harder to find. Non on eBay and oem new are $400 each. So I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on three options.
    1. I can get a remanufactured oem wheel for about $210 each
    2. Found on tirereack Enkei Racing RPF1 for about $225
    3. Something like American Racing wheel for about $115

Thoughts on any of these?

7. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    make sure you don't buy heavier than oem wheels, unless you don't mind the mpg hit. bargain priced wheels are gonna be cast, heavy, and/or Chinese crap. i'd spring for enkei if I needed wheels; American racing used to be cast.
    there are some other light wheels-- I did see a thread about motegi traklites. and someone posted a chart listing many wheels with size, construction and weight.

8. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rays eco rims are great.. I have those.. about 8.8lbs to 10.5 lbs depending on size

9. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    got some pix?

10. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What kind of wheel do you want? As long as you get 5x100 and a 56.1 center bore you will be fine.

SSR Type C
    Enkei RPF1
    BuddyClub P1 Racing
    Kosei K1 TS
    OZ Alleggerita
    Technicraft T6
    Konig Daylite

All these have 17" wheels the same or less weight than the OEM Touring 16"