1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Windshield is Noisy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bcochran52, Sep 2, 2007.

1. bcochran52

bcochran52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone experienced replacing a 2007 or other Prius windshield with an aftermarket one, only to hear a LOT more engine compartment noise coming into the passenger compartment (on the passenger side)? As I reveived multiple quotes on the web, they varied vastly from $230, to $320, to $408. Only the $408 one mention soundproofing (and green tint). I went with the $230 one (replaced as I watched in the parking lot) and although the new windshield looks just like the factory one, the extra noise is a big disappointment. Is this faulty installation, one of the 'dams', or should I have just sprung for the more expensive soundproof one? :( [email protected]

Problem solved. The cheaper aftermarket glass was not the issue. In order to get a proper noise seal the installer MUST use a "V-bead". That is, cut a "V" in the tube that delivers the black sealant so the resulting bead is taller, resulting in a proper noise seal.

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At a guess, it's the installation.

3. anj48

anj48 New Member

I have the same problem with my '01 Highlander. I also chose the cheapest replacement I could find and went with a company that charged nearly half of what others wanted. The job was done in my driveway. When I noticed the sound I had them come back to fix it which they partially did, but I am still living with considerable more noise than before. Lesson learned - there is a reason why the cheapest is the cheapest!

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob in Sacramento @ Sep 2 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]506089[/snapback]</div>
    The 2006-up windshields are thicker than 2004-2005 windshields, and this change was made to improve the interior noise levels. If you go the aftermarket route, you do so at your own peril. And aftermarket windshields are often made of much softer glass. Sorry, but in this case, you do get what you pay for.

If it's an installation problem, you will likely be able to find a leak by running water along the perimeter of the windshield. But I'm guessing that's not the problem.

5. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had my windshield replaced today with aftermarket SGC glass. I haven't noticed any more road noise or engine compartment noise than before but I do notice a distortion when looking thru at straight lines. Towards the edges all straight lines look as though they were reflections in a circus mirror. I am having it replaced with factory glass, the insurance co agreed without any hesitation. I called Toyota parts to ask if there were any other parts needed to make sure it was perfect and they said that the upper and outer dams were not needed, only the molding.

6. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius