1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing 2005 low beam bulbs frequently--too frequently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by honeybee77, Dec 22, 2009.

1. honeybee77

honeybee77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have replaced the main headlight bulbs several times over the past two years. I do not have the expensive lights that everyone seems be having problems with. I think they are halogen lights (?). I have them replaced at the dealer (rural dealer, pretty trustworthy) because they are such a hassle to replace.

Anyway, both the left and right bulbs have been replaced at least 3 times over the past two years. I do keep them on even during the day when driving (87,000 miles) but I did with my Subaru too (previous vehicle) and never had to replace bulbs this often. Does anyone else have this issue? My dealer didn't seem to have an explanation.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the original bulbs lasted two years? As I recall this type should not be handled with bare hands because skin oils will attack the bulb at operating temperature. Maybe this dealer has been replacing them incorrectly each time?

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with Richard about the dealer workerbee's possibly leaving finger oil on the bulb(s). If possible, I would buy a different brand and replace them myself or find someone handy who could help you replace them for a beer or some other consideration. The owner's manual should have instructions on doing the replacement + you can search here for more detailed instructions on how to replace them yourself.

4. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    honeybee77,

Back in the days when I had my Peugeot diesel wagon I was going through the old non-halogen, regular, sealed-beam headlights like crazy. It was a 4-headlight system using the 4000 & 4001 sealed beams (NOT little bulbs placed into reflectors) & I don't know which number was for the high beams or the low beams, but it was the low beams I was burning out most often. I would buy them in batches of 10 at a time. I think I would replace one or 2 a month, but I didn't drive with the headlights on during the day. When I did have the headlights on I rarely had the need for high beams, so that's probably why they lasted longer & didn't burn out as often. At first I attributed the short life to the vibration & clatter of the diesel engine, thinking the car was shaking the daylights (no pun intended) out of the filaments, but in talking to other owners, I found they were not having the same trouble I was.

On some quiet days I did also notice that immediately after shutdown of the engine I could hear a loud crackling or bubbling under the hood, which I eventually tracked down to the battery. It was bubbling away like mad & steam was coming out the vent caps & it stunk like sulphur. I just figured since the battery wasn't used to keep the car running like in a gasoline powered car (it only gets used basically to start the car & that's pretty much it), that it was constantly getting charged with energy being put in with no need to extract any energy, so that is why I theorized the battery was de-gassing so violently. But then I realized that I was putting about a quart (or maybe even more) of distilled water per week into that BIG battery. Again, talking to other owners, I found none of them were having that problem either.

So eventually I mentioned these things to the right person & I was told that my voltage regulator was probably shot. Sure enough, when I took it in to the dealer to have it checked out, I think they told me it was putting out something like 18 volts into my 12 volt system [normally a regulator only allows a charging system to put 14 volts into the battery (slightly more going in than gets pulled out to run the car) so that there is always some extra current to keep the battery fully charged]. Looks like the 18 volts was what was frying my headlights & my battery [I had to replace it too (I almost needed an engine hoist to get that BIG battery in & out of there)].

So, with the Prius I don't know if there is an external voltage regulator somewhere that can be checked, or if it is the expensive inverter that controls & maintains the 14 volts going into the 12 volt battery & the rest of the cars electrical system (that should be able to be checked, but I don't know if it can be adjusted). Of course it could be as simple as the fact that you use your headlights ALL the time & since they are halogens & burn a lot hotter, those 2 factors could have a lot to do with reducing your headlight life. I've probably offered you way more than you wanted to hear. Sorry!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 person likes this.
  5. honeybee77

honeybee77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far! Really good suggestions.

Just a little more information:
    I bought my Prius used in November 2007 and had the right (passenger side) bulb changed for the first time in February 08, then again in August 08, May 09, and then December 09. Checking my records, apparently I've only had the left bulb changed once (or I only found a record of once--I swear it was more than that) since I've owned the vehicle.

Hopefully I will make it to Spring with the bulb I just had replaced and can try it myself using gloves so not to get oil on the bulb. (I tried myself the first time it went out but am not a contortionist which replacing the bulb seemed to require, either that or removing the bumper which I was too lazy to do.) I have a feeling these guys are not using gloves for the same reason--it's hard to get your hand into that space!

I'm not sure about the voltage regulator, but it's a thought. Although, I've had no problems with my battery (even in extremely cold temps-knock on wood) and apparently, it's just the right bulb that is giving me trouble. I will keep the idea in the back of my mind, however.

Thanks again all! If anyone else has a thought/suggestion, please let me know.

Melisa

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Melisa,

You would need to use a digital multimeter to measure voltage across the 12V battery when the Prius is READY. The correct voltage is ~13.8VDC. If much higher that could be a reason for premature bulb failure (although in that case I would also expect other bulbs to be failing, not just the right headlamp.)

Its most likely that there is a problem with the bulb type being used or that the installation left grease on the bulb surface. Good luck figuring that out.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I would think Prius should give some error message if the 12V voltage regulator went bad, right?

8. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus