1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing a crankshaft sensor on a 2007 model

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Twiggy52, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Twiggy52

Twiggy52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my first post so please bear with me. I am trying to get info for my son in law so he can remove the crankshaft sensor on my Prius. I did have it put on a computer and it came up with Code p0335 crankshaft sensor "A" circuit. Has anyone ever replaced one of these before. I would appreciate any help and info that you could provide. I'm trying to avoid the dealership as I'm only receiving #SS. Thank you in advance.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the 12-volt battery in the unlikely possibility that it is low and is causing the code. If it is low, fix that problem and see if you have solved the issue.

Again, probably not the problem, but it is an easy first step.

Second, do you have any chance of rodents or such creatures possibly chewing on the wiring....check around as best you can....again, not super likely, but worth a look.

Reference this page below to see where the sensor is located so you have an idea where to look.

P0340 2006 TOYOTA PRIUS Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Bank 1

Oh, and I guess I should ask, are you having any symptoms at all -- in other words, does the car seem fine.....or did you just get a light on the dash and had it checked, but actually experienced no symptoms whatsoever.

Not sure how tough it is to replace on a Prius and my wife has the car today, but I expect it can't be too tough, but I am sure someone will come along and correct me if need be, but my Chilton's repair manual says it has to be done from under the car.

Your son-in-law can find the manual at your local library, I suspect. It shows the steps -- this is the book, below:

Chilton DIY 68650 - Total Car Care Manual | O'Reilly Auto Parts

#2 Stevewoods, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I cant say that I have seen that OBD code over 10 years on this forum. In fact a search of this forum reveals zero returns on that OBD code. No discussion of that sensor failing.

And the bottom end of this motor is very solid with the exception of the many high mileage cars we see that may have run low on oil and suffered lower end damage specifically knocking or possible misfire issues.

Other than the code thrown what is the issue with the car? How many miles?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also have not heard of this as an issue. The sensor is located (as you would expect) near the crankshaft on the side of the engine facing the passenger fender. Check the wiring harness connection to the sensor as well as the sensor itself.

If, upon locating the sensor, it is not obvious how to remove it, then I recommend your SIL subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com so that he can retrieve the relevant factory repair manual info to replace the sensor.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may be leaking oil I have heard of other cars do that.

No matter what buy the oem sensor.