1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Auxiliary Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dave Jeffries, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Dave Jeffries

Dave Jeffries Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Having read that some have experienced a loss of function when the aux battery was replaced, I decided to attach my battery charger, which has a supply mode, to the front jump point. Worked great. The dash lights for open door stayed lit. Replaced the battery and disconnected the charger. Started the car and all was well.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Connecting a battery charger to the jump point while replacing the 12V battery works well to save your radio presets, etc.

One point to remember is that you have to be sure to insulate the battery cables while disconnecting, so as not to short positive to ground or to each other, since these leads will be energized by the battery charger.

3. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just did the same a couple of weeks ago except I used jumper cables and a 12v battery to keep my resets. I have been expecting the battery to fail since it's 5yrs old so I had already got the replacement about a month ago. I got into the car one morning and it wouldn't boot up, checked the battery at the jump point and only showed 9v.
    The battery was easy to replace with a little engineering, I used the battery in the link and just run the bolts in the terminal clamps through the posts on the new battery and use a 1-1/2" block of wood under the hold down. Good so far.

New 12V 35Ah U1 SLA AGM Battery Scooter Wheelchair Replaces UB12350 AGM1234T | eBay

#3 milkman44, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015