1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing ECM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by allnchre, Apr 25, 2008.

1. allnchre

allnchre New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I have a 2003 with 99k miles. In the past 6 months I have gotten the red triange warning light on 2 ocassions. Both times it did not impact performance and went out on it's own. Last weekend the same light came on both Saturday and Sunday during a road trip. When it first came on there was an impact to performance but it quickly resolved and then drove fine. I took in to the dealership this week and was told that codes p3191 were in memory and p0301, p0302, p0305 were pending. They recommended the ECM unit be completely replaced to the tune of $1400. I had the work done because I am without a car. Can anyone comment. Was this the best decision or did I have other options? Delaler is also stating this is not under warranty. I thought I was good until 100K .:(

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 100K mile hybrid system warranty applies only to the traction battery, traction battery ECU, inverter, and hybrid vehicle ECU. The ECM (or engine ECU) is covered for 8 years/80K miles under the federal emissions warranty.

TSB EG006-02 applies to 2001 Prius but may be relevant to your situation. Had you asked for advice prior to having the work done, I would have suggested that you look at the currently installed ECM to note the part number. If the part number is the current revision 89661–47054, then the ECM does not require replacement.

Note that the TSB suggests that bad fuel injectors or incorrect valve adjustment may be reasons for the misfiring. BTW, DTC P0305 is an incorrect code since the Prius engine does not have five cylinders. Perhaps you meant P0303 or P0304.

So now that you have a new ECM, have the engine misfire symptoms gone away?

Attached Files: