1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing entire wheel system

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TPLOR, Feb 6, 2015.

1. TPLOR

TPLOR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. Reading all of your posts and replies have truly been inspiration to me and maintaining a good efficient Prius.

I own a 2005 Prius with 180k miles on it and have had one wheel bearing replaced within the past few months. Now that I've put about 20K more miles on it since it was replaced, my car has suddenly been very loud again. My mechanic brother has told me that once you replace one, the other one starts to wear down faster so that could be at fault.

I'm planning on replacing all 3 other wheel hub bearing assembly as well as replacing the rotors as those are rusted and the brake pads. Now, is there anything that anyone will forewarn me so that I can get it replaced easily and effectively without running into problems in the process of getting it repaired? This includes rotor replacement & brake pad replacement.

Also, I've been trying to find "rear" rotors for the Prius, since it is front wheel drive, it only has front rotors, correct?

I appreciate everybody's input and comments! =)

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Drums on the rear, rear wheels usually don't burn out bearings, it's your money, doubt the rear brakes are worn, check, doubt the fronts are worn , check, the other front wheel bearing gave up the farm, save your money, just fix it.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't list a location. U.S.-market models of your year (2005) had drums on the rear, but some other countries had rotor discs.