1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Fender Headlight Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hytec, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone know where can I find a procedure for replacing the plastic headlight cover on a 2005? It's the clear plastic piece that's part of the fender fairing. Is it something that an inexperienced DIYer with tools could do in a few days without ruining the rest of the car?

The passenger side headlight cover has become badly pitted, and is dimming the headlight beam. The pitting is from sand and dirt blown up by all the construction trucks in the five years since Hurricane Katrina.

I'm assuming that if I can get a decent used cover for a reasonable price and put it in myself, I can come out far less than what the Toyota dealer would charge. Though those of you who are skilled with repairing the Prius might tell me that my assumption is all wet, and just let Toyota do it. Thanks

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks JS, your tutorial made for a informative, and entertaining, read. That said, I've located non-OEM headlights from an e-tailer for about ~$75+s/h per side, including instructions.

However, I was able to restore the lens to near OEM condition with various cleaning agents that did not attack the lens material. So, unless MHP takes a dim (sorry :embarassed:) view of the beam spread and distance, I'll live with the current state of affairs.

Thanks again....:thumb:

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think it's Mothers that now makes a headlamp plastic lens repair kit. The kit allows you to buff out the scratches etc. and you end up with a perfectly new looking headlamp.

5. Gutsy

Gutsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, Mothers is one good one and there are others too. There are several YouTube videos showing how to polish out the headlamps. Search for "Headlight Cleaning" .. or "Headlight Restoration".

6. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks to you and David for your suggestions of Mothers, I'll check it (her?) out along with the YouTube video(s). Even after my obviously sorry attempt at cleaning the lens, I noticed this lens had a much dimmer reflection from pickup tailgates compared to its mate on the other side.

7. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks to all of you for your advice, job complete without lens replacement.

Mother's Plastic Polish is not available locally. However, I used BlueMagic Headlight Lens Restorer which has done an excellent job restoring the headlight lenses back to near original condition......:cheer2:

Thanks again for your help, and especially for maintaining the Prius Chat Forums. :rockon:

8. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One thing to keep in mind: Once you remove the UV coating on the lens you will have to re-polish them every 6 months or so.

9. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting point, I didn't realize there was a UV coating on the headlight lenses. I wonder why this has not been mentioned earlier, or with other topics? Is there a UV coating on the rear lenses also?

10. BobbyBraxton

BobbyBraxton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealer service offered to "sand" out on our 2005 Prius today on routine maintenance - at a charge of more then $300 - no thank you. Might apply that amount to the new Prius Prime plug-in 2017.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring