1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing front sidemarker light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ScottY, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The left front sidemarker light is out. Thanks to Tideland Prius' lamp replacement guide, I already got the part. My question is how do you access the lamp? I was able to pull the socket behind the lamp out. I also tried pulling and turning what it seems to be the base of the lamp, but no luck.

Any ideas?

TIA!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the 168 bulb pulls straight out.

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, the 168 pulls straight out if I can gain access to it. But I can't. I couldn't pull the base out of the headlight assembly when I used reasonable amount of force. I don't want to use tools and break things.

When I replace the tail light, it was straight forward. Open cover in the truck, turn the base, pull out base, replace bulb, reverse everything and done. The front light seems to be not too straight forward, at least I have not find the way to do it.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found that removing the top bolt for the headlight freed up enough room to twist off the assembly so that small bulb on top could be accessed.

The passenger side was easier, by the way. The driver side is really tight.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the side marker light is really tough to get out. I wanted to replace it with the free bulbs from power bulbs but I couldn't get it out so I used those free bulbs in my map lights instead haha.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, I gave it another shot during lunch today. The trick is not to disconnect the socket with the base. Leave the socket connected, it will give you a better grip, then just twist. You can take the socket out for easy removal from the assembly.

One note, there's a seal on the bottom of the base, make sure that's flat when you put it back on to prevent water from leaking inside.

NuShrike likes this.