1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing head unit in Gen 1 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Forboding Angel, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Forboding Angel

Forboding Angel New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So this is a nebulous topic apparently. With a lot of digging I have found that apparently a specific model of jensen head unit came with a microcontroller that allowed it to talk to the prius controls ( angelfire (the domain name) / electronic2 / mp3hack ). << Can't post links.

Honestly I care less about it talking to the prius controls than it simply connecting up with the built in woofers. The audio button on my Gen1 doesn't work and so I have no way to adjust balance or EQ (thankfully the EQ is flat and the balance centered).

The MFD is a step above worthless, so I'm considering a project to replace the MFD with a small tablet connected via bluetooth to a OBD-II reader. This way you have access to all the same information and the tablet can be connected via aux to the headunit.

Before going to any of this trouble I would like to know if there are any significantly easier ways to upgrade the head unit in the gen1?

It should be noted that my existing head unit is functioning.

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A