1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing HV Battery on antique Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RamageJ, Feb 17, 2024.

1. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it reasonable to approach the question of replacing HV battery as the equivalent of paying ~$3K for a good used car? This is an ‘05 with 210K miles.

Independent mechanic suggests it’s time to replace the car. They checked if terminals/connections just needed cleaning, and decided the battery is done. Quote is $3,200 from dealer, although I’m going to call a few directly.

What I’m unsure about is whether more expensive repairs are inevitable at this point? Maybe the frame eventually rusts out?

Feels like the odds of buying an ‘08-10 Prius and needing to replace that battery in a few years are pretty high.

I ruled out any refurb battery sources unless I’m going to sell the car - and count on a buyer willing to roll the dice (I would disclose the refurb battery). Unfortunately NexCell does not have 2nd Gen Prius batteries in stock.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i think any old prius is going to need some repairs, so there is risk, but you have to weigh it vs something newer and more expensive.
    having to use a dealer certainly puts you behind the 8 ball

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You buy the battery online through the dealer That's how you get the lowest price You don't pay the dealer to put it in your car hopefully you can work around that I guess if you absolutely must then you start getting into the age of the car the problems and the cost you're paying for repairs maybe a Prius isn't for you maybe a little $3,000 '09 Yaris will carry you forever It's expensive to get good fuel mileage Why bother e fuels are coming down the pipeline internal combustion engines got another 20 more years at least so you're in good shape Why worry with it unless Cincinnati Ohio is rust bucket USA your car should be in relatively good shape You can see by reading here the battery the brake actuator are about the two most expensive things left on the car The gas gauge dash if it goes out for all of those parts and problems can you buy another complete car with lesser problems and parts needed that's what you have to figure The maximum amount of the repairs were talking about even if you pay the dealer and go overboard is about 5 grand or so what are you going to get for 5 grand for a little bit less about an '09 Yaris like I said.

4. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems dealer is only source for a new battery. Learned about NexCell from other threads but they’re out of stock.

bisco likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're worried about paying dealer and maximum retail for every operation done on your car I don't think you want to buy a battery where you're not going to have the reliability of the 8 to 10 years and no worries.

6. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m not particularly worried about it. Just trying to weigh the decision.

One thing I don’t like is car shopping, so I’m inclined to get the new battery.

Danno5060 likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you can buy a few wrenches and a quarter inch drive metric socket set and things like that most of this stuff is really easy to do and it doesn't take records amount of time to do like changing the battery's not a bad job I get my girlfriend or my buddy who's over visiting to help me lift the battery if I need that sort of thing to move it from the trunk of the car to the work table or whatever I don't really but if I needed that kind of help my girlfriend can help steady one end of the battery It's not that kind of heavy or anything an old man like me with a bad back and another guy like me with a bad back and lift it out and set it on a table I do it by myself with a bad back I don't give a hoot. Then once it's up on said table and what not You know it's an hour's worth of work to undo all the nuts and the bus bars and clean stuff and general housekeeping that sort of thing. But here you'll just be taking the core out taking the front end in the computer off the battery and using that as your core so when you get the new battery all you're going to do is bolt the front end on it add a wire to like supposed to be tighten a couple of nuts set the battery back where it goes in the car add the wires from the car to the inverter tighten them up put the service plug back in so on and so forth might want to look at a few videos before you tackle this goes pretty straightforward or you can pay the people the $300 once you do this one time and you think to yourself man I was going to give up $300 for pay somebody to do this and you may think wow maybe not.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree on car shopping. why won't the independent mech who checked for corrosion install a new one for you?

9. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They will after ordering from dealer. Don’t know if their install qualifies for the extra year on Toyota warranty, although highly unlikely that’s ever needed.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. not worth the extra you have to pay the dealer to install.

Mendel Leisk and RamageJ like this.
  11. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After reading through more threads and considering the risk of something like a transmission failure or other repair taking the car out for good, decided to go with the Green Bean 3-Year warranty. I view it as buying three years to keep an eye on the used car market and find a replacement!

bisco likes this.
  12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Then really read and understand the warranty as you may very well need it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In your shoes, I'd probably go the dealership installed route. It's extra, but there is the warranty, and there's no core charge, and there's no third party (so no finger-pointing), and in a month or two your budget will be back on track.