1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing individual traction battery cells w/o balancing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by caseywan, Dec 7, 2015.

1. caseywan

caseywan New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So a friend wants me to rebuild the traction battery for their 05 Prius. They had the codes read at the dealership and it is saying that 2 battery cells are bad.

What happens if I just order good cells and replace the bad ones and reassemble it without doing the whole battery balancing thing?

From what I am reading, the battery balancing requires a DC6 or B6AC charger and takes 32 hours to balance each cell, requiring over a month to do a whole pack. Correct?

Thanks in advance!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    First of all, They are modules with each one having 6 cell in series.

Second, it is difficult to reliably obtain "good" module as most sources that do not properly test salvaged modules and Toyota (Panasonic) does not sell replacement modules.

Third, All 28 modules have to form a matches set as a voltage offset of more than 0.3 volts (Max-Min) of monitored module pair voltages will cause another battery alert.
    If you use multiple DC6 type charger/rebalancers (they are relatively inexpensive, about $25 each), the time can be significantly reduced. You also need to test each module under load to determine its health as all of them should exhibit the same voltage drop under load.

Just replacing a few modules without going through the process will usually mean repeating the effort again when the symptoms reappear.

JeffD

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is why rebuilt packs are expensive, labor intensive.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Simply buying a couple of random modules and slapping them in may be all your friend is looking for.
    It won't be reliable long term and you will be doing the same process again soon. But it may at least get the car running.

What's the goal for your friend? Does he expect a professional job, or just a quick bandaid fix?

Feel free to call me if you want to talk through things or bounce around ideas.