1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing JBL stereo with Pioneer AVS X8500BHS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by paulburek, Mar 24, 2013.

1. paulburek

paulburek New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to upgrade the premium JBL radio / stero in my 2006 Prius with a double din Bluetooth capable model and I'm looking at the Pioneer AVS X8500BHS from Car Toys. The store installer tells me that they will hook up the steering wheel adapter cables that will allow my steering controls for stereo and phone features to work with this new device. When they pull the JBL radio, they said that the native navigation system will likely stop working, which is not a concern for me since I will be able to use the map software on my iPhone to display on the Pioneer stereo unit. They also said that the Hybrid Monitor system and all of the other monitoring and control functions (except for the stereo controls) should still continue to work and be displayed through the factory installed LCD panel that is in the car.

Has anyone had any experience with pulling the JBL radio and replacing it with a new bluetooth radio device like the Pioneer models and if so, did all of the other monitoring functions still work properly and display on the factory installed monitor?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    look in the audio section. gun toting prius driver (or something like that) replaced his jbl w/ a double din and is very happy with it.