1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing lug nuts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ZC1, May 31, 2008.

1. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can the stock Toyota lug nuts be safely replaced with Acorn style lug nuts, assuming the 12x1.50 is met?

ZC1

2. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They must be the same shoulder and shank style and diameter to locate and secure the wheels safely. Remove one of the toyota lug nuts to compare them to. They will need to have washers on them also.

3. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Toyota lugs are straight shank and are standard lugs, albeit short.
    Years ago I knew that acorns cannot replace straight lugs but since forgot, thanks to Bob I now remember.

Guess that idea is out the window.

Thanks for your help, Racer Bob.

ZC1

4. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Gorilla has some new locks for Toyota. I ordered 1 set of 20 keyed alike and had to send them back. They are exchanging those for a new design with a nice shoulder (flange) and a captive washer. I'll post a picture when I get them. The first set had no flange and the loose washers were so soft, some would not reach proper torque. I believe they have other non-locking lug designs. Just make sure whatever you use has a large flange and a washer to distribute clamping power to the aluminum wheel. Keep 5 of your original lugs in the car for use with the spare (steel wheel).
    Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts bottom of page - look like stock Toyota
    Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories bottom of page - #73631T are the ones I am waiting for.

5. tkdsl

tkdsl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am seeing an Acorn Style and Regular style, what are the differences and what did you get ?

Also I am looking at getting some for myself ,were can I get some ?

thank you

6. Speedwing

Speedwing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Stock Toyota locking lugs are McGuard. Your service department has masters for these only. These are not Tapered seat lugs. These are shoulder lugs with flat washers.

7. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  8. tkdsl

tkdsl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  9. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Now there's an idea I've never entertained. (points up)

All lug nuts should be changed as a set unless:
    1. You are replacing a stripped or otherwise defective lug nut with an identical one.
    2. You are simply changing a standard lug nut for a locking lug nut, ensuring the design is the same again.
    3. Do not mix styles, standard shoulder lug nuts and acorn style lugs nuts (which are intended for aftermarket wheels) are different and meant for different wheels.

ZC1

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like... I like.

ZC1

11. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, for a little over 60 dollars, you can get 20 locks all keyed alike. The key is even the same size as the original lugs so you can use the same lug wrench. Be sure to order an extra key for 6.00 more.

12. tkdsl

tkdsl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will do that, will item number them change to #73633t ?

Gorilla 12mm x 1.50 Wheel Locks - Set of 20 - Brandsport.com

Thank you

13. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't see any beneficial reason why someone would replace all lug nuts with lug locks.

I'm more than sure the lug key is going to get stripped eventually.
    I wonder how many keys they include?

ZC1

14. tkdsl

tkdsl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    they include one with the set. and you can get an extra one.

but I am not sure why you cannot buy 4 sets of the 5 and 4 keys that way. are they different keys then ?

Racerbob what do you think ?

15. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes that is the correct #. BUT, tell them you will only accept the new improved style nuts with captive washers. My first set were as pictured in that link and I had to send them back because they would not torque down. The washers on the original style lugs will distort and crush badly. The new style has washers that don't fall off and a big flange to give proper clamping force. Gorilla exchanged mine. Brandsport and Gorilla are both aware of the problem.
    I changed all the nuts for 2 reasons, they match, and it will deter a thief (I hope) from trying to get my new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds.
    1 key is included. If you order 5 sets of 4, they will not be keyed alike. It also costs more.

16. Speedwing

Speedwing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :deadhorse: FYI As long as a thief has one of these
    [​IMG]
    they can take your locking lugs off in a heartbeat.
    Our lugs are only tourqued to 76 foot pounds and a simple impact driver and socket can also defeat the locks.

Save your money and buy one set to make you feel better that you will cause the somewhat honest man to stay honest.