1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing my Prius - what to do with the old one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kkeane, Dec 20, 2015.

1. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My trusty 2005 Prius has finally reached the end of its life after almost 300,000 miles. What eventually did it in was the catalytic converter. In California, that's a $2000 repair because the only cat legal to install is a brand-new one from Toyota. The hybrid battery is probably also dead by now. After that many miles, of course there are a few other mechanical problems with it, but most components have held up quite well. The engine is worn but ran well, transaxle and inverter are good - of course, many miles on them, but no problems. And of course there are plenty of valuable body parts.

I'm planning to replace it with another, almost identical except for the color, 2005 Prius that has only about 90,000 miles on it. I will buy it from a Toyota dealer I trust.

Now I have to decide what to do with the old car. Does it make sense to keep the car for its parts when the replacement car starts needing repairs? I have plenty of space to store it, but it would be sitting outdoors for several years.

My other option is to try to sell it on Craigslist for somebody who wants to part it out, or sell it to somebody in Arizona, where aftermarket cats are legal and affordable.

Thanks for any tips!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be interested in a project like yours. Please contact me

m.wynn likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't expect the next '05 hybrid battery to last too long. time is as much a killer as mileage. all the best!(y)

4. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know. Fortunately, I drive 50,000 miles a year, so I don't expect the next 05 to last more than four or five years before *it* hits the 300,000 mark.

bisco likes this.