1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing OEM HID Ballast with non OEM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hotcold, Jun 26, 2007.

1. hotcold

hotcold Lazlo

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I am rebuilding an '04 Prius that got hit in the front end. I have located used HID lenses without ballasts.(It was originally HID)
    I am wondering if I can use an aftermarket ballast with a D2R or D4R bulb. Obviously, I will have a little rewiring, which is not a problem and would likely have to relocate the ballast somewhere else other than the OEM location.

Has anyone done this?
    Wondering about interference, since the aftermarket units do not have the shielding the Toyota ones have. It goes without saying that there are some big differences between the Toyota ballast prices and the aftermarket prices. Many Ebay sellers offer used Lexus ballasts, but the leads appear to be shorter, and there are a bunch of small bits that I would need to complete a stock rebuild.

Hope someone else has done this. Seems that most Prii that have any kind of front end collision usually need headlights, radiator, etc.

Thanks.