1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing OEM Tires

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by amidetx, Sep 21, 2008.

1. amidetx

amidetx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just got my Prius (used 2007) with less than 10,000 miles. But tires have significant wear, especially on front. Have had great luck with Goodyear Assurance Tripletred on previous vehicle (2001 Honda CRV) and was disappointed to learn they aren't made in the size recommended by Toyota, but there were some similar sizes. Has anyone successfully changed to this tire on their Prius?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are several Priuschatters running on GY Assurance Tripletreds at a non stock size of 195/60 R15. The difference in size is just minimal and only changes the speedometer by less then 1 % (I think it will read 60 MPH and you will be travelling 59.4 MPH)
    It should also greatly improve your handling and stopping distances at a small cost of gas mileage.

A good place to buy them is on Tirerack.com for just $92 each plus shipping of about $10 per tire.

3. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just put on my second set, great tires.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed to Tripletreds and they are wonderful tires. The ride is SO much smoother and quieter. Handling is improved markedly and the rain handling is fantastic. It even will do well in snow!

5. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was just going to ask if anyone had them in the snow, how much change in mileage should we get with these?

6. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it would be relatively hard to find a tire worse than the OEM GY Integritys.

I just replaced mine early because I picked up a nail or screw and had a flat.

I chose Michelin X Radial DTs. They are reported by Consumer Reports as low rolling resistance (I have yet to confirm that) and nearly tied for first place in their reviews.

They are much much better than the OEMs. They track better, corner better, turn better and are quieter. I haven't had them in the wet or snow yet so I'll have to leave that report for later.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love TripleTreds. This is the third car I've put them on. All things considered (handling, braking, noise, comfort, wear, rolling resistance, etc.), I think one would be hard pressed to find a better all season tire for the price.

I also think that a lot is gained by moving to the 195/60/15 size -- improved handling and braking. When Consumer Reports road tested the Touring Edition, it noted that the Touring's 60-0 mph braking distances were 10 feet (dry) and 12 feet (wet) shorter than the Standard Prius'. Those are huge improvements. My bet is that the Standard Prius equipped with 195/60/15 TripleTreds will have braking distances similar to (and maybe better than) the Touring's.