1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing PCV valve on 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fikey13, Apr 11, 2012.

1. fikey13

fikey13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I see that this has been covered here on different models with differing advice. What exactly has to be removed on the 2007 to get to it?

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Please follow these instructions exactly:Search

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends.

DIY or do you just want to know what the mechanic will have to do to replace it?

If DIY, you will need to get the service manual. It's available in pdfs in chapters on the internet (I won't tell you how to get them, that's your job).

Once you get the service manual, the procedure looks fairly easy. Basically, it requires removing the air filter housing and the wiring harness for the ignition coils and fuel injectors in addition to a few other things. I plan on replacing/inspecting the PCV myself sometime this summer.

BTW, Toyota refers to it as a ventilation valve in the service manual. You will find the procedure in the emission chapter.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All 2G are essentially the same with regards to the engine, so to the extent you see different advice regarding PCV valve access, that is based upon personal preference.

At minimum you will need to remove the wiring harness that runs across the valve cover, for access to the valve. You may find that your access is substantially improved by removing the cowl that contains the windshield wiper motor. That will also give you a chance to get rid of whatever leaves and other gunk have accumulated in the cowl area.

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here's the procedure for generation II:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/56852-pcv-replacement-how-photos.html
    it looks like a lot of work so good luck, I believe other posts recommend doing it around 110,000 miles as it is basically the same procedure as replacing your spark plugs. If you absolutely insist on doing it before the iridium spark plugs are due for replacement, it is recommended to carefully remove the spark plugs, anti-seize the threads, then put them back so that when the time comes to do the spark plug it will be much, much easier.

1 person likes this.
  6. Hybrid_Tom

Hybrid_Tom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of my old 2006 engine, which is the same as your 2007. The PCV valve is shown on the upper right side of the valve cover, attaching to the breather hose. That is what you will be looking for, when you get down to it. You will need a 19 mm wrench to remove it.

1 person likes this.
  7. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The procedure to remove the pcv valve (with photos) is overkill. The major obstruction is the ignition coil and fuel injector wiring harness.

Why do more work than you have to?

Get the service manual.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Using a 12 point 19mm BOX end wrench is the key. Threadlocker was applied at the factory and makes it very stubborn. DO NOT USE A CRESCENT WRENCH.

9. Mike Mc

Mike Mc '16 Prius 4, '13 Prius 3

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did my PCV yesterday, what a pain! I did not help that it was 95 degrees.