1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Persona OEM unit with aftermarket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Keith Elkin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    From what I've read from my previous post and other places online, if I were to replace my OEM stereo in my new 2013 Prius Persona with an aftermarket I'd lose the following:
    1. Hands Free
    2. Steering Wheel Remote & MUD controls
    3. Ability to access Hybrid system info (though I think I can see the same info on the MUD)
    4. Ability to customize some car options (which I should be able to change via the OBDII port I think)

I own an XM and a Sirius lifetime subscription which I can't transfer to an OEM stereo, and I'm not very happy with the navigation in this unit but do love Entune. I'm thinking of replacing my OEM unit with my Pioneer Avic X920BT (w/ X940 firmware) which would provide me with some Entune-like functionality and my lifetime XM subscription and better navigation.

What I wanted to know is this:
    1. Is there an adapter kit for the steering wheel controls which besides giving me the remote control ability again also restores the MUD controls? Does it also allow you to use the hands free controls? (Send / End Call)
    2. Can I use the factory hands-free MIC? (The Pioneer one is awful)
    3. Is there a dash kit which fits the 2013 Persona? (I've seen a 2012 kit but I don't know if that would fit in a 2013)
    4. Is there anything else I should know about that might affect my decision to replace the OEM unit with an aftermarket?

I would miss some of the Entune's features.. but with the Pioneer unit I wouldn't have to pay anything after 3 years for the same features and I could easily add my old subwoofer. (Though currently I don't think I can access weather, open table, or movie tickets via Pioneer's app mode but.. so far that's all novelty for me anyway)

I'd love to hear from anyone who replaced their units and whether they regret it or not.
    -Keith

EdyJun likes this.
  2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dedicated OE replacements are usually plug n play. They pretty much emulate the factory units but they don't have the Vehicle Customization feature in the Setup menu. Steering wheel controls are not disabled. If you go to a generic HU you will have to use a steering control adapter. I had to use a PAC adapter in my Suzuki SX4 with my Eclipse and wound up not having the mute function on the S/W controls. It was limited to 4 functions.

3. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Ok so after a few weeks of using my Entune unit in my new 2013 Persona, I've decided I can't stand the GPS and intend on putting in a Pioneer Avic Z150BH. My question is this; am I able to use:
    1. Factory microphone for Bluetooth Hands Free
    2. Factory XM antenna?
    3. Factory GPS antenna?

Or will I need to run all three new ones?
    -Keith

4. duhren

duhren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius . what did you finally do.

I am looking at doing something like that on my 2011

5. axelator

axelator New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in the same market and looking for a stereo/GPS replacement for my 2013 Prius II. What functionality will I use. Recommendations for units?