1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing rear JBLs woofers with front woofers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mmccking, Oct 19, 2005.

1. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I replaced my front JBLs with components so I have the front woofers just lying around. While doing my B-Quiet, I realized that the rear woofers are not the same as the front woofers, in fact, they're really cheap looking compared to the fronts.

I'd like to put the front JBL woofers into the rear doors. Would that cause problems?

According to the sticker on the back of the rear woofers, they're rated at 2.6 ohms, and according to the info on VFAQ, the fronts are 2 ohm.

thx

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

A rep for the Harman International (parent of JBL) commented on another board that the amplifier in our JBL prius can handle a wide range of impedances, so impedance should not be a problem for the amp.

But changing the impedance of the woofer (from nominal 3 ohm to nominal 2 ohm) would likely affect the crossover behavior and so could potentially change the sound coming out of the tweeter. Also if the efficiency were different it could change the relative intensity of sound from the woofer compared to from the tweeter.

My take is that it might very well be an improvement, and is likely safe, but there is a possibility that it might make the sound worse for the above reasons. So I'd do one side first and then listen shifting the balance from side to side to see which one you prefer.