1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing rear wiper "thing" -- part too short -- sorta

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 20, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Noticed my wiper blades front and rear are just starting to shred. Not bad, since they are the originals that came with this 2008 model car.

No problems replacing the fronts -- the back briefly had me confused until I remembered to pry off the hinge cover at the bottom of the wiper arm. I did manage to tear off part of a fingernail to the quick -- ouch.

BUT, as I started to snap the new blade assembly into place (in between wiping blood off my finger), I noticed the new part was significantly shorter than the original. Turns out NAPA had given me a 14" blade. The original is 16".

Went to NAPA Online and all the Web site offered was the 14" part as "optional" replacement for OEM. No 16" offered at all.

The 16" is TOO SHORT in my opinion, so was not happy. I initiated online chat with a NAPA representative who quickly found me a 16" replacement. Why it is not offered on the Web site, he could not say.

Just wanted to give a heads-up. Don't know how common it is for parts places to offer up the 14" blade. I am just glad I noticed and was able to order the OEM size....

BTW, posted this link a couple of years ago when I was confused about this strange red dot on the rear windshield -- a nice pix of the windshield and an Oregon sunrise....
    Flickr: siuslaw11's Photostream

If you want to see the red dot thread: Windshield -- What's this thing on the glass? | PriusChat

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I just use two Toyota refills for the front wipers and cut the better of the two old ones to length and refresh the rear wiper. Three for the price of two :)

JeffD