1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing speakers: What fits?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by byrnnryb, Apr 13, 2011.

1. byrnnryb

byrnnryb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New owner of a 2005 Salsa Red w/o JBL or Nav here. First thing I'm doing is replacing the headunit (similar to usbseawolf2000's helpful tutorial.)
    The other thing I want to do is replace the speakers. I've seen Sparky's pdf on the process, and it was helpful, but I'm trying to figure out my options.
    Up to this point, I've been using Crutchfield's "Outfit My Car" tool, but it seems to indicate that most of the 6 1/2 inch speakers don't fit in the front or rear doors. Is this because of the thickness of the speaker?

I've been considering the Kenwood KFC-P709PS, and Alpine SPS-600C.

Can anyone shed some light?

-Bryan

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can fit up to a 7" speaker in the front door. Depth is not an issue if you use a spacer ring. I made one out of MDF and placed it on top of Dynamat Extreme (sandwiched). My Diamond Audio D971 speakers fit just fine. Depth on my midranges is 2.7".

Installation is simple. If you need to run new wires through the door then expect to spend a bit of time and maybe a lil frustration. lol

3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I found Crutchfield's guidelines far too conservative. Use the existing speaker mount bracket as a template to make your own out of MDF, like F8L says. Some pics of what mine looked like here: [ame="http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/d_roady/Prius%20Audio%20upgrade/?albumview=slideshow"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket[/ame]

- D

1 person likes this.