1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing standard CD/Stereo system - keep wheel controls?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jfh3, May 2, 2005.

1. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

First - I'm audio-system-knowledge challenged :)

Instead of getting a package 6, looking at options for aftermarket add-ons to a package 4. Don't care about BT, voice cmd no biggie for me.

Can anyone tell me what size the default stereo sytem is? 2 DIN or 1 DIN or non-standard size?

If I were to hook up an Eclipse unit or Pioner AVIC, is it possible to have the steering wheel controls interface with the aftermarket head? I'm guessing there would be no interface with the MFD, but I would get DVD playback on the aftermarket display and apparently a much better audio system than the JBL upgrade.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not likely you would get steering wheel control. It connects to the radio, through a 2 channel resistive network. In other words, each button puts a different resistance on one of the 2 sense leads.

Not sure of the DIN, but if you are to REPLACE the header, you'd need some way of getting a compatable faceplate.

3. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Re: Replacing standard CD/Stereo system - keep wheel control

The stock stereo on a Prius is wider then a standard stereo. I would say it's a double-DIN-plus.

There is however, a cubby hole beneath the factory stereo that is also a single DIN opening for an Aux unit (e.g. Toyota In-Dash 6 option - Not to be confused with the JBL In-Dash 6). If you so desire you can pull out the cubby and put your deck in here but unless it's a Toyota supported device, you'll probably have to unplug your stock stereo to plug in the new one.